gcarroll

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tell us more about the tank.

Size of tank?
Does it have a sump? If so, what is the size of your skimmer chamber?
Do you want an internal or external skimmer?
What are you planning to keep in the tank?
Any height restriction?
Does sound matter?

gcarroll

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

gcarroll

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OK, I like the ones I have and have had.

ATI powercone 250
I like one because it pulls massive air and creates ultra fine bubbles that no other skimmer it's size can match. Silent and energy efficeint.
Downside is it uses a modified Eden pump that can only be replaced by the manufacturer to achieve that performance. New models are using Jebao pumps which are easy to get but reliability is mildly suspect. built of thin acrylic.

ATB 1260 external
I like the build quality that is only matched by Vertex and Royal Exclusiv. Silent and energy efficeint. Hot air welded seams.
Downside, the company bounces around with hobbyists that operate on a shoestring budget. New models are using Jebao pumps which are easy to get but reliability is mildly suspect.

Royal Exclusiv BK Deluxe 250
I like the build quality that is only matched by Vertex and Royal Exclusiv. Adjustable venturi allows for additional tuning not offered by any other company other than Vertex. Silent and energy efficeint. Hot air welded seams.
Downside is it uses a modified pump and replacement pump prices are crazy.

Skimz/Warner Marine 251
I loved the compact design. Biggest skimmers for a given footprint. Silent and energy efficeint.
Downside is it used an uncommon Eden pump. Pumps were inside the body. This makes it impossible to use a different brand of pump. New models are using Jebao pumps which are easy to get but reliability is mildly suspect.

AquaC EV-400 and EV1000
I like that the skimmer processes tons of water. Really increased ORP.
Downside is it it needs a pressure pump to perform optimally. Procesing that much water made it far less than silent. Used a very large pump to get the desired performance.

There are a lot more but that covers the last 10 years of my reefing. Of course the things that I see as important may differ with others.

OP
OP
chris k.

chris k.

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok so i have been doing a little research and decided on an in sump skimmer . I have a 110 gallon tank with an adv-200 sump. Compartment size is 13L x 12w x 30h. With a water level of 7 inches max. I really dont want to spend over 500. Usd. Half that if possible. Would like an easy to clean and quiet skimmer. So far i only have 3 small fish and a small gsp. But this will be mostly a reef tank. Also looking for reliability and easy to get replacement parts.

USMC 4 LIFE

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bubble magus curve 5 ($200) rated for 140 gallons or curve 7 ($300) rated for 210 gallons. Both easy to clean and well within your budget.

Making aqua concoctions: Have you ever tried the Reef Moonshiner Method?

• I currently use the moonshiner method.

Votes: 30 21.4%
  • I don’t currently use the moonshiner method, but I have in the past.

Votes: 2 1.4%
  • I have not used the moonshiner method.

Votes: 102 72.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 4.3%
Back