Skunk cleaner shrimp bothering fish?

christinna77

Tilefish Mom
View Badges
Joined
Apr 18, 2025
Messages
1,162
Reaction score
1,452
Location
Vancouver
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have two skunk cleaner shrimps and one blood fire shrimp in my tank. The two skunks are always out and around, especially at night. They even jump toward my fish to try to clean them. A few times their antennas touched my tilefish at night (as they don't really sleep), completely freaking them out in the dark.

My blood fire shrimp mostly stays in its cave, maybe 90% of the time. It set up a cleaning station there and waits for any fish to swim to it instead. But the skunks feel like too much. They even seem to "guard" the main cave sometimes, so my tilefish can't go in without getting bothered.

My tilefish actually does like being cleaned sometimes, but the skunks take it to another level. They literally jump on the fish. Note that I feed 4-5 times a day and they always get their share, so they're not hungry by any means. My yellow tilefish unfortunately ended up jumping out after the last incident, so I'm now considering just rehoming them and only having blood fire shrimps instead. Has anyone else had a similar experience?
 
Yup, I've had a similar experience with skunks and firefish. I love their personalities, but they are like little energizer bunnies when it comes to feeding. They steal it from corals, they want to clean fish, and they can bother corals by touching them with their antennae.

It's probably a combination of them being too eager, and tilefish being "jumpy". Most fish tolerate skunks IME.

My sharknose goby was relentless too. He used to ride my clownfish.
 
Yup, I've had a similar experience with skunks and firefish. I love their personalities, but they are like little energizer bunnies when it comes to feeding. They steal it from corals, they want to clean fish, and they can bother corals by touching them with their antennae.

It's probably a combination of them being too eager, and tilefish being "jumpy". Most fish tolerate skunks IME.

My sharknose goby was relentless too. He used to ride my clownfish.
Yep, I love how they rush to my hands whenever I put them in the water. They're always out and moving around, and people love them looking at my tank. But like you said, they do steal food from the corals, even when I feed them separately, and they end up bothering my fish too.

Interesting about the sharknose goby - it's actually on my list, as I prefer them to neon gobies, I'm going to reconsider now lol.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHICH TYPE OF REEF CONTENT MOST OFTEN GETS YOU TO PARTICIPATE?

  • Daniel's daily polls. They're awesome! 😎

    Votes: 6 35.3%
  • A real troubleshooting problem

    Votes: 6 35.3%
  • Build-thread or tank-update posts

    Votes: 3 17.6%
  • Before-and-after progress photos

    Votes: 2 11.8%
  • Beginner questions

    Votes: 3 17.6%
  • Honest success or failure stories

    Votes: 4 23.5%
  • A post, update, or article from my favorite vendor

    Votes: 5 29.4%
  • Detailed how-to or educational discussions

    Votes: 7 41.2%
  • Tank tours and member showcases

    Votes: 5 29.4%
  • Local events, swaps, or meetups

    Votes: 4 23.5%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 3 17.6%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new