Sky vs xr30 blue

ROX'S REEF

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I have a 6 foot 150 with 1 sky and 2 xr30 on both sides of sky. I got the sky to see which I would like better, and at this point i dont see the difference. Have anyone tested both lights with par meter, and seen any difference? My end game is a total of 3 lights so I will either get 2 more sky, or 1 xr30 blue

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Full apex everything else on my tank is apex.
Not advocating that you go out and buy any more SKYs, but it's probably hard to see the difference directly side by side when they're both on. If you have a full Neptune setup already, I'd be leaning towards another two SKYs.

I know they're a lot quieter than the Radions, anything but Mobius has to be easier to use and you get full programability through the Apex. And you'll probably have better overall light coverage with three SKYs.

Big E

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
3 skys would be my choice and they will still work with a 6ft tank if you ever upgrade.

You would need four Radions to get same coverage as 3 Skys

OP
OP
ROX'S REEF

ROX'S REEF

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Thanks guys great advice on control and coverage this weekend my tank will be full apex with 2 additional skys.

areefer01

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This forum, well, and several others, really dislike Neptune and the SKY lights. With that out of the way I think the one poster above, @blaxsun, said it well such that you may not be able to judge as you have them mounted. Even if on, or off, at different times. Different LED layout, width, and your spectrum/intensity setting. It is going to be a challenge.

At this point it really is up to you what to do. Not sure if you have but any chance you make a list of pro, con, what you like, dislike, etc?

App control
Ease of use
Spectrum
Connectivity
Noise
Mounting
Spread

You didn't say what XR you bought pro or the base unit but that could also factor into the decision. I've not owned the XR's so really can't say so trying to remove any bias I may have. My initial take is you would spend less buying 1 XR vs 2 SKY's. Flip side is the XR's are more expensive than the SKY's. If you sold the XR's you may be able to recoup some money and it may be moot. Then again you will probably also recoup by selling the SKY. Glass half full, empty - seem my point?

One thing that is nice about the SKY is that you can integrate it easy enough. Single app. Sort of important to me but I'm not you :) Another nice feature is that the SKY has 14 different presets with the base light. XR's you have to choose standard, or blue and then dial in or use the pre-sets. SKY gives you a bit more spectrum control should you choose wrong (edit: my point here is they sell 1 kit that can support both sides of the spectrum without losing a lot of par). In short decent LED spectrum which allows the hobbyist to flip spectrums without loosing par. This is often overlooked and why some add two choices.

Honestly you can't go wrong with either kit. One may save you some money the other a nice quality of life improvement. Both will grow corals. 3 over that size tank will give you room to grow.

OP
OP
ROX'S REEF

ROX'S REEF

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
App and ease of use definitely goes to sky. Mobius app is horrible and I had gen 3 before which I controlled with WXM, and loved gen 5 only works with Mobius which sucks.
Spectrum I can only go by eye and both look great but radions have that beautiful shimmer.
Connectivity: both are very simple and very easy.
Noise: the radions are louder than the sky.
Mounting: Neptune was smart as hell they just stole the mount layout rite from ecotech so both are the same lol.
I love radions and radions are at a gen5 so they have the history and know how when it comes to lights. I have always loved radions and will continue using on other tanks but I'm going with the three sky's.

Attachments

• 20220417_152933.jpg
    20220417_152933.jpg
    111.3 KB · Views: 63

Fusion in reefing: How do you feel about grafted corals?

• I strongly prefer grafted corals and I seek them out to put in my tank.

Votes: 3 3.7%
  • I find grafted corals appealing and would be open to having them in my tank.

Votes: 47 58.0%
  • I am indifferent about grafted corals and am not enthusiastic about having them in my tank.

Votes: 23 28.4%
  • I have reservations about grafted corals and would generally avoid having them in my tank.

Votes: 5 6.2%
  • I have a negative perception and would avoid having grafted corals in my tank.

Votes: 3 3.7%
Back