Slight miscalculation in plumbing

SallyWho

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm putting together my water mixing station, and it seems I have a little problem. The outlets at the bottom of the barrels are lower and the inlet of the pump, and I failed to compensate for that by angling the 90° elbows upwards slightly. Everything else important is already glued in, and now I've got this height difference. Can I use a block to prop up the horizontal line of plumbing so everything lines up? I mean, I could force it together as is, but it would put stress on the connections to the pump. I've already tried loosening the unions and trying to adjust, but it's all glued solidly. Thoughts?
20180616_010815.jpeg
20180616_010823.jpeg
20180616_010842.jpeg

OP
OP
SallyWho

SallyWho

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are the barrels full? Put 2x4s under them
Not full yet. That's a good idea- I do have some plywood out back I could cut to fit. I do have PVC leading up from the pump to reenter the left hand barrel at the top, but it's a uniseal, not a bulkhead, so it has a little flex to it if I need to raise the barrels. Thanks!

LE0

High end Collector
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
you can use a pvc insert, extender or coupling. Should be a quick easy fix.

OP
OP
SallyWho

SallyWho

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OP
OP
SallyWho

SallyWho

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Finally got it done! It's messier than a first grader's penmanship, though. 24hrs to cure, and then I can leak test it. Keeping my fingers crossed that everything is good- I do NOT want to take it apart to fix it!
20180616_111515.jpeg
20180616_111504.jpeg

User

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You don’t need to cure pvc glue gif 24 hours. It’s ready to go 10 mins after you set the pieces.

Erica-Renee

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You don’t need to cure pvc glue gif 24 hours. It’s ready to go 10 mins after you set the pieces.
that is because its not glue or adhesive (correct term)Its a Solvent.. Causes each of the two surfaces to heat up, soften and fuse together...

Giggles..

Sleepydoc

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
you can use clear primer from the get-go if the purple bothers you, or just skip the primer completely. The primer simply serves to pre-soften the PVC and ensure a better & stronger bond, but for our low-pressure applications it isn't really necessary. The purple color serves as a marker to show the plumbing inspector that it was used. otherwise there's no difference between the purple and the clear primers.

OP
OP
SallyWho

SallyWho

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So, the junction in question has a slight leak at the union- enough to drip and puddle, but not a steady stream. I couldn't find compatible flexible pvc products in town, so I bought this off Amazon. The only problem is that it's too long. Do you think I can cut it and find a regular pvc coupling to fit the new ends, so I can glue it into the union?

Oh, and here's another kind of clueless question: the pvc is glued into that union- are replacement half unions sold anywhere, or will I have to cut out the section on the other half of the union and just replace the whole thing?
20180627_082742.jpeg
20180627_082804.jpeg

Sleepydoc

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've never seen replacement half-unions; you have to buy the entire thing and use what you need. NO idea if that coupling you bought can be spliced, but you can go ahead and try it. Otherwise they sell Spaflex or Ultraflex flexible PVC that can be glued like any other PVC pipe.

Where is the leak? I read a tip somewhere that you can seal one end and hook up a vacuum to the other end while applying PVC cement to the joint in question. The vacuum will apparently draw enough cement into the joint to seal it. I wouldn't trust it for full water main pressure but for our applications it should be fine.

Neoalchemist

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
^^^I've used this trick^^^, but with silicone and it worked. the silicone may or may not have filled the void but it sealed anyway so I was happy.

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 102 75.6%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 15 11.1%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 8 5.9%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 3 2.2%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 3 2.2%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

Votes: 2 1.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.5%
Back