Slightly weird smell coming from rodi

fishmonkey

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is it ok if my rodi smells a little weird after a few days?

The only contamination I think that could have happened is when I accidentally dropped my 5 gallon jug into the brute bin.

tested fresh rodi 0 ppm.

Last edited:
OP
OP
fishmonkey

fishmonkey

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Smell oddly like cat pee?

Completely normal.

RO/DI is like a sponge, it will suck up anything in the air. Ever measure TDS after it sat a couple days in a brute?
yea i read on forums saying cat pee but honestly im not sure it smells exactly like cat pee. i guess it does but not exactly. it smells a bit like a towel thats been wet too long. i dono hard to pinpoint it.

Thenakedreefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

The only contamination I think that could have happened is when I accidentally dropped my 5 gallon jug into the brute bin.

tested fresh rodi 0 ppm.
Brute bins, depending on the one you have can add a chemical smell to your rodi in my experience. I quit using them just for this reason.

Thenakedreefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

tested fresh rodi 0 ppm.
i Also observed that the Brute bin never smelled but the water would start to after sitting for a few days. if that is what your experiencin.

OP
OP
fishmonkey

fishmonkey

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i Also observed that the Brute bin never smelled but the water would start to after sitting for a few days. if that is what your experiencin.
yea i think its bacteria or something that makes that moldy smell. i guess it does no harm but i read in some forum about someone using a 50 dollar 9 watt uv sterilizer to get rid of the smell. i might try it out.

homer1475

Figuring out the hobby one coral at a time.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Brute bins, depending on the one you have can add a chemical smell to your rodi in my experience. I quit using them just for this reason.

You do realize brute trash cans have been used in the hobby for close to 40 years? No one has ever had an issue that could be linked to the brute other then the odd smell.

My thoery is it's just picking up odors in our house, since RO/DI is like a sponge.

gbroadbridge

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You do realize brute trash cans have been used in the hobby for close to 40 years? No one has ever had an issue that could be linked to the brute other then the odd smell.

My thoery is it's just picking up odors in our house, since RO/DI is like a sponge.
All these folks sniffing DI water and cat's pee, just makes my kind boggle.

Thenakedreefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I have no source to verify your 40 year claim or claims that no one on the entire planet has been able to link a brute can with contamination. I also suspect that neither do you. I have however had discussions with others who have experienced the same as myself and I was merely sharing my observations.

CaseyWagner

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Resurrecting this recent thread as I just took the lid off my new salt mixing brute that has been sitting completely covered for several days and it REEKS of cat pee.

I was really surprised. I was worried that something might have occurred to create ammonia, but the threads on the odor have put me somewhat at ease.

I'd never had prepared salt water sitting around in a container before. I'd just mix in my 5 gallon buckets as I needed it.
So getting a blast when I took the lid off was a shock :p

Aquatic acrobat in your aquarium: Have you ever kept an eel?

• I currently keep an eel in my tank.

Votes: 27 14.4%
  • I have kept an eel in my tank in the past.

Votes: 32 17.0%
  • I have not kept an eel in my tank, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 32 17.0%
  • I have no plans to keep an eel.

Votes: 94 50.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 1.6%
Back