Slime/Algae/biofilm Growing in Tank Suddenly

EastCoastScaping

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So yesterday I noticed excess biofilm growth on my glass and rocks. And some stringy slime like stuff. Today there is a lot more, covering my rocks, frag racks, glass and its wrapping around corals. I havent changed anything recently so I dont know what it is and how to get it to stay away. Any ideas??
Last waterchange was 2 weeks ago and changed 3 gallons from my tank(total of 8gal). Tanks been set up for nearly a year now. One fish, a few ceriths and nassarius snails also. Running red sea blue bucket, and dosing tropic marin all for reef. dKH sits around 7.4, salinity 1.026, No3 at 5-10, and PO4 sits around 0.4 while dosing AF Amino Mix once a week. Im also running a skimmer and some carbon.
Any input helps, pics below.
IMG_0200[1].JPG
IMG_0202[1].JPG
IMG_0204[1].JPG
IMG_0205[1].JPG
IMG_E0211[1].JPG

Billdogg

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
To help identify what exactly it is, please take a picture without the blue lights. It is very hard to see anything other than blue in the pictures you have posted.

If I had to guess, what you have is either cyanobacteria or diatoms, possibly a combination of both from the description.

Fishnut

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like a bacterial bloom. Possibly dosing too much.

Going off the ledge: Would you be interested in a drop off aquarium?

• I currently have a drop off style aquarium

Votes: 3 1.6%
  • I don’t currently have a drop off style aquarium, but I have in the past.

Votes: 4 2.1%
  • I haven’t had a drop off style aquarium, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 27 14.4%
  • I am interested in a drop off style aquarium, but have no plans to add one in the future.

Votes: 91 48.7%
  • I am not interested in a drop off style aquarium.

Votes: 57 30.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 2.7%
Back