Slime in sand from Cerith snails?

  • Thread starter Thread starter BriDroid
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

BriDroid

I glue animals to rocks.
View Badges
Joined
Aug 2, 2024
Messages
1,696
Reaction score
2,301
Location
Prosper, TX
What state or country do you live in
Texas
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a bunch of Cerith snails in my nano, and they make a TON of slime! It is so much that it starts to bind with the sand and form almost solid like slimy sand balls that blow around.

First, is this normal? It seems to be the Florida Ceriths that make the most slime, the Caribbean Ceriths are much less slimy. I've just been sucking it out when I do my weekly water change. Is there anything that will break it down or is it just something I have to live with to keep the sand bed clean?
 
That's crazy, I order 100 once a year when I re up from reeftopia and have never noticed any slime. Also didn't realize there was a difference between Caribbean and the Keys? Interesting?
 
That's crazy, I order 100 once a year when I re up from reeftopia and have never noticed any slime. Also didn't realize there was a difference between Caribbean and the Keys? Interesting?
The Caribbean are the dark, smooth shells. The Florida are the lighter, knobby shells. The Florida do better for me on the sand, they dig down deeper where the Caribbean go all over; sand, rocks, glass, and don’t dig much at all. That’s why I keep both, but the slime from the last batch of Floridas I got!!!
 
The Caribbean are the dark, smooth shells. The Florida are the lighter, knobby shells. The Florida do better for me on the sand, they dig down deeper where the Caribbean go all over; sand, rocks, glass, and don’t dig much at all. That’s why I keep both, but the slime from the last batch of Floridas I got!!!
Thanks for the breakdown but now I'm really confused. When mine come in they're bleach white, spend all day in the sand then bam the front panel is covered an hour after lights out. Never a morning where I don't find a dozen trapped in the caps. I'll have to look closer I just dumped 100 in yesterday.
 
Thanks for the breakdown but now I'm really confused. When mine come in they're bleach white, spend all day in the sand then bam the front panel is covered an hour after lights out. Never a morning where I don't find a dozen trapped in the caps. I'll have to look closer I just dumped 100 in yesterday.
The dark ones, are what I was told, are Caribbean and the light, bumpy ones are Florida.
IMG_0340.jpeg
IMG_0341.jpeg
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT CHANGED THE MOST IN A FISH AS IT MATURED IN YOUR REEF?

  • Size or body shape

    Votes: 1 11.1%
  • Color or pattern

    Votes: 3 33.3%
  • Personality or confidence

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Aggression or territorial behavior

    Votes: 2 22.2%
  • Feeding habits

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Social behavior or bonding

    Votes: 3 33.3%
  • It really hasn’t changed much

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Something else (Tell us what I didn't think of)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new