Slow coral growth

JCH

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey everyone , I’m stumped as to why my corals grow so slowly? I see all these videos with tanks newer than mine with a lot more growth. Mine is a 70 gallon reef. Salinity is 1.025 , cal stays around 430 , mag is around 1200 , alk is 10.9 , 2 mp40’s for flow and I’m running Kessil 360’s that ramp up to 80&90% for about 4 hours and then ramp down. Feeding coral daily with a mix of Red Sea reef energy, reef chilli, pohls vitalizer and seachem phytoplankton and of course fish poop ! Phosphate stays between 0.05 and 1 and nitrate between 5 and 10 . What the heck am I doing wrong? Any idea’s! Thanks in advance !

crazyfishmom

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Hey everyone , I’m stumped as to why my corals grow so slowly? I see all these videos with tanks newer than mine with a lot more growth. Mine is a 70 gallon reef. Salinity is 1.025 , cal stays around 430 , mag is around 1200 , alk is 10.9 , 2 mp40’s for flow and I’m running Kessil 360’s that ramp up to 80&90% for about 4 hours and then ramp down. Feeding coral daily with a mix of Red Sea reef energy, reef chilli, pohls vitalizer and seachem phytoplankton and of course fish poop ! Phosphate stays between 0.05 and 1 and nitrate between 5 and 10 . What the heck am I doing wrong? Any idea’s! Thanks in advance !
What type of coral are you trying to grow?

My first thought is that alkalinity is pretty high for the level of nutrients in your water.

Mr. Mojo Rising

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Would suggest to rent a par meter to get an idea of the levels.

4 hours of lighting sounds very little to me, in nature its about 8-10 hours. I have metal hallides on 9 hours a day and then OR3's for another 3 hours, and believe me my corals grow.

OP
OP
J

JCH

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What type of coral are you trying to grow?

My first thought is that alkalinity is pretty high for the level of nutrients in your water.
Mixed reef with lps on the lower half and spson the upper

Formulator

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your magnesium is quite low. Aim for 1350 ppm. Also might be good to get your trace elements checked and look for any impurities with an ICP-MS test. I recommend Oceamo, but there are several options and opinions you can find on here about which is the “best” test lab.

crazyfishmom

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Mixed reef with lps on the lower half and spson the upper
I guess another question is: what’s your expectation for growth? For SPS for example, a fast grower will usually grow about an inch a year unless you have one of the magical tanks. Sometimes it’s easy to get discouraged if you’re starting out from small frags.

For LPS if we are talking about gonis, 1 mm of skeleton every couple of months is reasonable.

For torches or hammers it can take a month for a new head or 6 months depending on the variety.

It’s all over the place.

These numbers make me feel better.

Last edited:
OP
OP
J

JCH

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Would suggest to rent a par meter to get an idea of the levels.

4 hours of lighting sounds very little to me, in nature its about 8-10 hours. I have metal hallides on 9 hours a day and then OR3's for another 3 hours, and believe me my corals grow.
Yeah lights are on for 12 hours but lower intensity other than 4 hours midday

OP
OP
J

JCH

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your magnesium is quite low. Aim for 1350 ppm. Also might be good to get your trace elements checked and look for any impurities with an ICP-MS test. I recommend Oceamo, but there are several options and opinions you can find on here about which is the “best” test lab.
I’m dosing 50ml mag , maybe I should up that

OP
OP
J

JCH

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I guess another question is: what’s your xorctarion for growth?
Not sure, but when I see all the videos on YouTube and they talk about how much growth they’ve had a one year ,I’m like what the heck im I doing wrong! Lol !

OP
OP
J

JCH

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah lights are on for 12 hours but lower intensity other than 4 hours midday
Well, maybe I should try raising my intensity, don’t want to burn up the lps they seem to like where it’s at now. Idk you think they can take more maybe?

crazyfishmom

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Well, maybe I should try raising my intensity, don’t want to burn up the lps they seem to like where it’s at now. Idk you think they can take more maybe?
If you do it slowly (increasing 15 min a day for 3-4 days at a time) you can get them up to a full day no problem.

OP
OP
J

JCH

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you monitor pH? That's just as important and I didn't see you mention it.

Keeping it 8.1-8.3 will make a huge difference.
Yes I do it hovers around 8.15 with salifert test and Apex reads lower around 7.9 and I am dosing all for reef and a little soda ash

ryanjohn1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not sure, but when I see all the videos on YouTube and they talk about how much growth they’ve had a one year ,I’m like what the heck im I doing wrong! Lol !
My experience is they do just about nothing for the first year and then explode with growth

MattPLaw

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My experience is they do just about nothing for the first year and then explode with growth
I am about 3 months in and also frustrated with slow growth. I am trying to be patient but it is tough. I am really hoping this is true, if so I can wait.

crazyfishmom

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I am about 3 months in and also frustrated with slow growth. I am trying to be patient but it is tough. I am really hoping this is true, if so I can wait.
Many of my corals took about 3 months to “settle” when placed in the tank. Then it took about a month to start seeing growth. Now I have several where I see measurable progress it feels like every other week. It’s really all over the place though. Some definitely grow much faster than others.

OP
OP
J

JCH

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah , this tank has been set up for 15 months. I am getting growth better on the LPS , very little on SPS . But not nearly what I see in these WWC videos. Makes me wonder if I’m doing something wrong

Building with glass and silicone: Have you ever built a tank or had a custom tank built?

• I have built an aquarium.

Votes: 30 15.4%
  • I have had a custom tank built.

Votes: 46 23.6%
  • I have never built a tank or had a custom tank built.

Votes: 111 56.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.1%
Back