Slow growth with SPS

FlyinBryan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was able to greatly growth when I added Kalk to my ato. All of my tanks run it and it just seems to keep everything in check and balanced.
I'm no expert but ph might be a bit low, I have great success with anything over 8.1. Kalk and the right fuge light can help with that.
Also, what does your filtration look like?
I agree with previous poster, I'd also run gfo.
My tank was way behind where nothing grew until I got those 3 on inline.
Great tank! And good luck!

OP
OP
Montiman

Montiman

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was able to greatly growth when I added Kalk to my ato. All of my tanks run it and it just seems to keep everything in check and balanced.
I'm no expert but ph might be a bit low, I have great success with anything over 8.1. Kalk and the right fuge light can help with that.
Also, what does your filtration look like?
I agree with previous poster, I'd also run gfo.
My tank was way behind where nothing grew until I got those 3 on inline.
Great tank! And good luck!
I already use kalk in a reactor. If I dose any more the alk starts to climb I am going to try a co2 scrubber and see if that helps

OP
OP
Montiman

Montiman

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have now been using inland seas biotrace an all in one amino acid and trace element solution that is manufactured by a small company in my area for about a week. The product is being discontinued but I spoke to the original creator and he described to me the science he went through developing it and he gave me 2 bottles to try. I am already getting better growth. I have been looking for an alternative now that it is going away and I was directed to aqua vitro fuel which has a similar recipe. I will run the biotrace for now and switch to fuel once I run out.

OP
OP
Montiman

Montiman

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Some pics of the SPS I am seeing some whitish tips showing growth.
4676aeacf0ca4fa64af7300e411b5a04.jpg
71d3268b182282cde32764d4aed4e24b.jpg
67d571b46b44683966db1369c5e51c64.jpg
b6965099ff79ebba6af89e331d4e7cd3.jpg

OP
OP
Montiman

Montiman

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks good! Any updates? Have you still solved the slow growth problem?
Tank has moved since then and now into a XXL750 Reefer. I have realized that my tank of 7 years just grew coral faster than a new tank. My tank is less than a year old now and I trimmed back all the SPS to frags hoping they would regrow. Currently really disappointed with the growth rate but I have learned my lesson before that it seems to take a couple years for maturity to speed up growth.
20210219_193123.jpg

Cory

More than 25 years reefing
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tank has moved since then and now into a XXL750 Reefer. I have realized that my tank of 7 years just grew coral faster than a new tank. My tank is less than a year old now and I trimmed back all the SPS to frags hoping they would regrow. Currently really disappointed with the growth rate but I have learned my lesson before that it seems to take a couple years for maturity to speed up growth.
20210219_193123.jpg
Tank looks great! I often wonder what tbe reason is. Maybe its lack of phytoplankton and associated predators like pods for the corals to capture.

OP
OP
Montiman

Montiman

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One thing I noticed in my last tank is that growth begats growth. Some of this is because growth can be exponential rather than linier as single polyps turn into colonies.
I think another component is the effect corals have on pH. My pH always goes up as the tank grows. I believe this is because CO2 remains constant but the amount of kalk I can dose increases as the corals grow. Also coral photosynthesis removes more CO2. This results in a pH boost that also results in faster calcification.

Looking back to your reefing roots: Did you start with Instant Ocean salt?

• I started with Instant Ocean salt.

Votes: 183 72.6%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt, but I have used it at some point.

Votes: 17 6.7%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt and have not used it.

Votes: 46 18.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 2.4%
Back