Slow growth with SPS

Rakie

NOTED TROUBLEMAKER
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
"Dose Nitrate" That's always the answer around here isn't it? lol
Feed the fish more and also feed the corals. That's a great way to increase growth and nutrients in a bio-pellet tank. Also, run carbon in a reactor that huge leather is prone to putting toxins in the water that can irritate the SPS. Last thing, I'd lower the T5's down to a few inches off the water and what bulbs are in there?

I feed my fish more than anybody I know, and I've got 9 fish in a 45g cube at the moment -- feeding more doesn't increase anything in some tanks. My biofilter is way too strong, so sometimes 'feed more' doesn't work. But dosing nitrates does, as it's some biofilters are too intense. Even with the skimmer off, my no3/po4 has to be dosed.

Bouncingsoul39

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I feed my fish more than anybody I know, and I've got 9 fish in a 45g cube at the moment -- feeding more doesn't increase anything in some tanks. My biofilter is way too strong, so sometimes 'feed more' doesn't work. But dosing nitrates does, as it's some biofilters are too intense. Even with the skimmer off, my no3/po4 has to be dosed.

Ideally, I'd prefer to find a balance and not get to the point of too intense a bio filter. Keep it simple, ya know. I think if you absolutely have to dose nitrates then something is out of balance IMO. But really, I don't care either way, whatever works for you guys. I just see everyone here on R2R constantly telling people to dose nitrates and it's not something I'd start with when trying to trouble shoot slow SPS growth. But that's just me.

Bouncingsoul39

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I run carbon and also use Ozone. The Ozone made a huge difference when I added it a year ago. I think it really negated the leather's ills. I have thought of removing the leather but my wife and mom love it so it is staying. Unfortunately the t5s are on legs so they aren't moving.
What T5HO bulbs are you using and how old are they?

Rakie

NOTED TROUBLEMAKER
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ideally, I'd prefer to find a balance and not get to the point of too intense a bio filter. Keep it simple, ya know. I think if you absolutely have to dose nitrates then something is out of balance IMO. But really, I don't care either way, whatever works for you guys. I just see everyone here on R2R constantly telling people to dose nitrates and it's not something I'd start with when trying to trouble shoot slow SPS growth. But that's just me.

My bio filter is just the rock and sand in the tank. Nothing else. it's just very efficient, and I'm seeing more and more people lacking nutrients.

I think part of the problem is the average junker piece of gear today runs circles around the average gear of years ago. Today we can literally strip our tanks nearly sterile.

reeferfoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's because we don't have to wait a week or two for things to break down. Plus, we can accurately dose a preferred number rather than risking over feeding.

tutmatt3

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have raised Mag before for bryopsis control so I am not too worried about it. I have just found that water changes mess with my parameters if my tank is not at the same level as the water change water. For example if I keep Mag at 1350 then every month when I do a 30% water change the Mag drops significantly and this instability is worse than just running the Mag lower. I could always boost Mag in the mix but that's just too complicated IMO.
Yeah I agree. Especially when the difference varies that much.

I too use IO, but treat my water now pre- WC

reeferfoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My strategy has always been to match the levels in my salt and since I have used IO for 10 years I have always tried to keep a Mag of 1250 since I am looking at switching to a new salt that may fix the Mag Problem as well.
Fritz RPM might fit your needs. I've been using it and its worked great for me. Ca 450 dkh 8.5 mag 1350. Lfs sells 200g boxes for $45.

Bouncingsoul39

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They are about 8 months old 3 blue plus 1 purple plus. I am considering replacement but I usually replace bulbs once a year.
Sounds good. Maybe swap the purple plus for a Aquablue Special when you do change them out. It's probably not the reason for the lack of growth though since you've also got the Kessils. Can you slowly increase the intensity on the Kessil? Like a small incremental adjustment over several weeks?

SnapBackReeef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think the lighting is the problem for sure. Upgrade your lights. Maybe to an LED / T5 hybrid. It worked wonders for my SPS!

tgionet

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fritz RPM might fit your needs. I've been using it and its worked great for me. Ca 450 dkh 8.5 mag 1350. Lfs sells 200g boxes for $45.

There seems to be a bad batch going around. I had 3 boxes mix to those parameters and my latest from Lot #29040 mixed up to 6.1 DKH/420CA/1580mg

Macdaddynick1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

How do you avoid using gfo?

Flippers4pups

Fins up since 1993
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This works for me:

Total water volume: 180 gallons

Tank size: 6', 125 gallon

Alkalinity: 8-9dkh
Calcium: 440-460
Mag: 1350-1450
N03: 10-20ppm
P04: trace

Light intensity:
SPS: mid to high placement -200-250 par.

LPS: mid to low placement- 150-200 par.

Flow: 2 RW15's running at 75 percent, alternating pattern.

Filtration: Berlin method. Rock, sand, protein skimmer. Filter socks one week on, one week off. No GFO.
No bio pellets.

Water changes: bi weekly. 20% total monthly.

Salt: Coralife

Dosing:
8oz of sodium bicarbonate solution every other day to stay between 8- 9dkh. 1 1/2 tsp calcium hydroxide per gallon in ATO. (Tried dosing AA's about a year ago for six months, did nothing) No carbon dosing.

Foods: ocean nutrition prime reef flakes. Rods original blend or LRS reef frenzy. Broadcast fed once to twice a day.

That's it. Excellent growth, color and polyp extension with all corals.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Montiman

Montiman

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sounds good. Maybe swap the purple plus for a Aquablue Special when you do change them out. It's probably not the reason for the lack of growth though since you've also got the Kessils. Can you slowly increase the intensity on the Kessil? Like a small incremental adjustment over several weeks?

Funny I had the kessils at 100% and just dropped them to 75% thinking the corals may be photoinhibited.

Acrofiend

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Try dosing Phols Xtra. I was having slow growth on some of my acros then decided to try pohls after reading great reviews. For some reason my acros just started growing.

Bouncingsoul39

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Funny I had the kessils at 100% and just dropped them to 75% thinking the corals may be photoinhibited.
Aha, well then probably best to stay at your 100%. Based on what you're saying though I still feel like it's something with the lighting. Is there any reef club nearby you or a LFS that has a PAR meter you could borrow to check PAR levels around the tank? Are the Kessils old or new?

OP
OP
Montiman

Montiman

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Aha, well then probably best to stay at your 100%. Based on what you're saying though I still feel like it's something with the lighting. Is there any reef club nearby you or a LFS that has a PAR meter you could borrow to check PAR levels around the tank? Are the Kessils old or new?

The center kessil is an old non we 360 the right kessil is 3 months old as one went out after a few years and the left is about 2 years old

Going off the ledge: Would you be interested in a drop off aquarium?

• I currently have a drop off style aquarium

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don’t currently have a drop off style aquarium, but I have in the past.

Votes: 1 2.6%
  • I haven’t had a drop off style aquarium, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 15.8%
  • I am interested in a drop off style aquarium, but have no plans to add one in the future.

Votes: 16 42.1%
  • I am not interested in a drop off style aquarium.

Votes: 14 36.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 2.6%
Back