slowly loosing zoas

blurry

View Badges
Reaction score
Jordan NY (in-between Rochester and Syracuse)
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I seem to be slowly loosing zoas. I've been away from the tank for a while with work and found about 5 plugs empty. Seems that only the pricey stuff is vanishing :cry: A few have a brown/green film on them. The tank is a 50 gallon brute with 4 small powerheads (koralian nano 425's) and low light (4 T5s about 18 " up to 8" of water - PAR about 100 max) The light bulbs are old, probably a year. I'll get new ones ordered this week. I did a H202 dip on the king Midas - the original polyps are gone, only the new growth on the side remains. In another tank, the Galaxy's wont open, but look clean. Green cloves are melting and have a film on them. also did H202 on these.

I did miss some water changes and got caught up with a few larger ones (12% 3 times in one week). losses are still happening.

The tank is connected to the mixed reef which is doing great and ZOAs seem to fair better there (no loses if that is a measurement). The mixed reef has dual halides.

SPS look great.

KH- 11.5 (this crept up on me, usually 8.5. dropping about .5/day right now
Ca - 430
PO4 - 0 on hanna
NO3 - showing up yellowish instead of pink? usually between 0 and 1
Mg 1400
Salinity 35ppt against calibrated refractometer

If the flow is too low I can try to increase, I struggle with getting flow in the tank because its so shallow. any advice is appreciated!

thanks!

Wy Renegade

Zs and Ps/PE collector
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
With the brown film you described, it sounds like you have algae growth due to lack of flow. I would try moving the existing powerheads to increase the flow in the areas were the zoas are and/or adding some additional powerheads. As you already mentioned, its most likely time to add some new bulbs.

wish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
With the brown film you described, it sounds like you have algae growth due to lack of flow. I would try moving the existing powerheads to increase the flow in the areas were the zoas are and/or adding some additional powerheads. As you already mentioned, its most likely time to add some new bulbs.

If algae grows on them... your fish like a tang would eat them! I have two tangs and I've seen it happen
:( more flow and dip as mention earlier

nano junky

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
the algae could be growing as a result of flow or a pest has rendered the zoas to angry to open ive had it happen sound like bristle worms or spiders

mallorieGgator

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A brown film is usually a fungal or bacterial infection in your zoas. I would look up the furan dip. I'm not sure the ratio but they need to be dipped or they will all melt away.

davelink

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
you might have zoa eating nudibranchs my friend, and they are almost impossible to spot witht he naked eye unless you really know how to look for them. google it and see if anything you find helps

robert

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
"The tank is connected to the mixed reef which is doing great and ZOAs seem to fair better there " - I think this kinda says the water parameters are ok...

If the zoas are disappearing quickly (as opposed to to shrinking and melting away) and especially if there are signs of damage, missing skirts etc. - I' suspect pests.

But with what you describe, and if the zoas are shrinking and fading away, I tend to agree with Wy Renegade.

Pull out a frag plug and scrape an open area with a chisel or clean flat bladed screwdriver. If you scrape off a substantial amount of slime - its flow.

Scraping and swabbing with H2O2 will help keep the problem at bay also flushing with a turkey baster daily, but you'll have to keep it up until you fix the flow...and yes the same slime/algae issue affects clove polyps - but I'd bee reluctant to H2O2 threat cloves.

bluepit

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
u r needing more flow,and probably better light, because most zoa s come from turbulent shallow waters. algae growth on zoas is lack of FLOW

OP
OP
B

blurry

View Badges
Reaction score
Jordan NY (in-between Rochester and Syracuse)
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
took some pictures. the LPS are starting to take a beating. a gorgeous multicolor in the display is hurting and another LPS in the display is receding.

sorry for the lack of color balance, I need to buy capture NX2 :)

The ugly:

this says it all. H202 no effect:
dsc4860b.jpg

dsc4860b.jpg

dsc4860small800.jpg

galaxy paly - been through 2 10% H202 dips, still will not open

dsc4866small800.jpg

LPS starting to get affected -

frogspawn:
dsc4864small800.jpg

Favia:
dsc4862small800.jpg

on the other hand some stuff is doing great:
dsc4867small800.jpg

dsc4868small800.jpg

dsc4869small800.jpg

Last edited:

Dowtish

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I hate to see this. I just went through the same thing with a large colony. Doing great, and then suddenly closing up, and then some opened, and then less and less. The discoloration started. I dipped in Furan 2, then went to Hydro P. NOTHING. Moved them in higher flow, different light, turkey baster etc. NOTHING. and all the while everything else looked great. I ended up just tossing the whole colony before it rotted in the tank. I am thinking that a combo of possibilities: a couple of small aiptasia popped up in the colony, then I swore I saw some sort of hydroids. I'm thinking the initial stings and possible reactions caused the bacteria to set in.

Then I had a nice 15 polyp colony with no sign of anything wrong just close up and melt away in a 3 day period....Needless to say I am baffled, and just kinda over Zoas right now.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 22 28.9%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 28 36.8%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 20 26.3%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 5 6.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.3%
Back