Zoa Pox? Current treatment?

PotatoPig

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So a couple weeks ago my previously healthy and happy zoas all started closing. I briefly thought it was due to low iodine as they perked up a little with increased water changes, but now are flagging again. Today I noticed a bunch of little white dots on them, see photos. Is this zoa pox?

From reading up I keep seeing Furan-2 as the go-to treatment, but it appears to have been discontinued…

Salinity: 35ppt
pH: 8 to 8.1
Temp: 78
Nitrates: 40
Phosphates: 0.1
Calcium: 420
All: 8-9
Mag: 1450

All my stony corals are going gangbusters - hammers are growing fast, Moseleya growing out nicely, Acans are growing and budding, new Hydophora growing fast after 2 weeks in the tank, new Digitata growing out over the attachment to the rock, all nicely colored up, fish are spawning, everything seems happy except my Zoas, that should be the hardiest things in there.

IMG_0331.jpeg
IMG_0332.jpeg

sfin52

So many pedestrians so little time
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like sand incorporated in the tissue

littlebigreef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
12   0   0
From the picture those appear to be spirorbid worms. Here's a thread so you can read and compare: https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/how-to-get-of-spirorbid-worms-infestation.323506/

Less likely but it might be substrate/detritus that was incorporated into the tissue.

Zoa pox are generally larger, well-defined and in the end stages look like giant puss-filled white heads. I don't believe this is that.

Since Furan-2 is no longer available you'd need to buy the active ingredient nitrofurazone and dip using just that. I did a round of treatment on some pox-y zoas I received and can confirm it works the same as furan-2.

I purchased the aquaLife brand from The Fish Room. There's another brand from The Koi Farm via Amazon- I have not tried this brand yet.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 21 13.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 7.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 23 14.6%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 91 57.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 11 7.0%
Back