Zoa long term problem. Need help.

sfin52

So many pedestrians so little time
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What type of fish and inverts do you have.

You have zero nitrates. Do you have a refugium?

OP
OP
lazy turtle

lazy turtle

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What is your water flow like?

Do you have any small starfish? Asterina eat zoas like skittles

What do you have for clean up crew?
Flow is medium/ strong. My tank is 80l display and 2 pumps. Sicce 3500l/h and tunze 6040 on half power.
Yes, i have some asterina starfish. Small blue and big white with red spot in center.
Yes, i think 10 turbo snails, some nassarius snails, a lot of tube worms, some critters.

OP
OP
lazy turtle

lazy turtle

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You have zero nitrates. Do you have a refugium?
I not have a refugium. Only some siporax media, 1 package maxspect nano tech bio sphere and 1 simmilar media + some rock in display tank. My tank is AIO and i do not have any other media like rowa or GAC. My rock suck up all my nitrates IMHO.

OP
OP
lazy turtle

lazy turtle

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What type of fish and inverts do you have.
I have two Banggai cardinalfish, one salarias fasciatus and some basic snails. Inverts: GSP, sinularia and ricordea florida orange plus zoanthids . Nothing special.

OP
OP
lazy turtle

lazy turtle

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No3 after dosing 2ml Ati Nutrition per day NO3 is 0,25-0,5 ppm but my girlfrend said that color is 0,25 .

Last edited:

Aqua Man

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The little starfish in your tank will eat zoas. Look in the tank right before your lights come on and catch as many as you can. Some Zoa are finicky. Some will not open for awhile after a crab walks on them.

OP
OP
lazy turtle

lazy turtle

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

The little starfish in your tank will eat zoas. Look in the tank right before your lights come on and catch as many as you can. Some Zoa are finicky. Some will not open for awhile after a crab walks on them.
So why my zoas are so small ? I do not believe it is becouse of asternia's.

littlebigreef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
12   0   0
Ok, if I understand correctly your Aquarium is 80 liters and you're running a 4 bulb ATI unit at about 1/2 strength.

You didn't mention how mature the aquarium is, however, you mentioned nitrates were zero.

Ok, starting with the light. If you rent a Par Meter from Bulk Reef Supply I think you'd likely find your aquarium is still has very high par. I use T5 bulbs and they put our a surprising high par. Given your tank likely isn't more than 12-15" tall this should be the first thing you check. Even with the lights at 1/2 strength that would explain why your polyps are so small. The strains you mentioned are resilient. That said most zoas do well between 100-200 par. Some of the more difficult strains actually prefer much lower 60-85 par.

Nitrates/Phosphates

Throughout the thread you mentioned you feed 1/4 cube down from 1/2 cube and you have a few cardinals. Yet, you didn't mention how old the aquarium is. Zoas will always fare better in mature systems that have readable nitrates/phosphates. Refugiums are an excellent source of micro fana that help stabilize these. If you have cryptic areas or you're not tossing your sand bed during water changes these guys will eventually establish themselves in your aquarium over time. You mentioned seeing starfish and other guys crawling around in your aquarium so even if your tank isn't fully mature it sounds like it's on it's way. I might suggest bumping feeding back up to 1/2 cube to get some readable nitrates/phosphates.

OP
OP
lazy turtle

lazy turtle

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you have cryptic areas or you're not tossing your sand bed during water changes these guys will eventually establish themselves in your aquarium over time
I have sandbed when i start my tank 1,5 years ago but earlier i decided to go barebottom.

Aqua Man

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So why my zoas are so small ? I do not believe it is becouse of asternia's.
They sit on the polyps and slowly suck them up at night. Then scurry away when the lights come on.

For flow on my King Midas I see the skirts barely move. Low flow is what I call it.

Agree with others that some nutrition in the water is also needed.

Going off the ledge: Would you be interested in a drop off aquarium?

• I currently have a drop off style aquarium

Votes: 2 1.1%
  • I don’t currently have a drop off style aquarium, but I have in the past.

Votes: 3 1.7%
  • I haven’t had a drop off style aquarium, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 26 14.9%
  • I am interested in a drop off style aquarium, but have no plans to add one in the future.

Votes: 85 48.6%
  • I am not interested in a drop off style aquarium.

Votes: 54 30.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 2.9%
Back