How to Get of Spirorbid Worms Infestation?

Andy G

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all,

The amount of spirorbid worms in my tank is out of control.

They have completely covered ALL the live rock, the back glass, and it's starting to grow in the sump creating a mess.

It started about a month ago and it's significantly ramping up.

I've read most of the threads available and most of them mention they are not bad, but do not mention how to control or bring population down.

I'm attaching a picture so you can see how in a few days I'm not going to be able to see the rock...

It might even be that it's not spirobid worms...

Looking forward for suggestions.

Most of my parameters seem acceptable except Ph due to a CO2 issue that I'm already addressing.

Parameters:
Salinity: 34
Ph: 7.85
Temp: 78
Alk: 12
Nitrate: 0
Phosphate: 0.04
Calcium: 450

Thanks in advance!
30c4c66fd70a96b3ceb8ffb24f3959e9.jpg
1c2afef44d8b7c1f21f1b29a9a1340b2.jpg

OP
OP
A

Andy G

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's impressive. First step for me would be to reduce feeding. What is your current schedule?
Hi Ty, I'm feeding twice a day, and have cut down 30% of the amount. I've tried feeding less but fish start getting aggressive.

I'm also dosing Redsea energy and cut it back to 50% of recommended dose starting this week.

Also using NoPox, as per suggested dose.

Thanks for helping.

sundog101

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow.... I've never seen that before. Maybe you could scrape them off, but I don't really know. I'll be curious to see what others say.

Ty Hamatake

Hi, my name is Ty and I'm a Reefer...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Ty, I'm feeding twice a day, and have cut down 30% of the amount. I've tried feeding less but fish start getting aggressive.

I'm also dosing Redsea energy and cut it back to 50% of recommended dose starting this week.

Also using NoPox, as per suggested dose.

Thanks for helping.
I guess more importantly is what are you feeding? Spirorbis are just little fan worm type filter feeder and they seems to eat just about anything.

Oh, and you're more than welcome! :)

OP
OP
A

Andy G

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow.... I've never seen that before. Maybe you could scrape them off, but I don't really know. I'll be curious to see what others say.
I scrap the glass every day, but the rock is impossible. It's all over it, every single piece.

OP
OP
A

Andy G

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I guess more importantly is what are you feeding? Spirorbis are just little fan worm type filter feeder and they seems to eat just about anything.

Oh, and you're more than welcome! :)
Normally I feed Reef Frenzy frozen, mixed with Seaweed extreme pellets from Hikary.

The last week and a half been feeding Dr. G antiparasitic frozen food and will end treatment in a few days.

The worms stared before I started Dr. Gs.

What do you think? Should I change food?

Ty Hamatake

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So, reducing feeding would be my first choice. Whether that's rinsing your frozen foods or feeding smaller amount (I'd chose feeding three or four small amounts a day that one or two big feedings, though I know that's not always an option). If bringing avaible food down doesn't work, you may want to CAREFULLY consider going the "natural" route. For me I went with a sixline wrasse. Honestly something I regretted every day after the first month or so until the day I got rid of him (not an easy task). There are others put there that may be a good choice as well, just remember this isn't a surefire fix. I chose the sixline based on a small amount of research (obviously too little) and the fact that his tank was the only tank in the fish store free of spirorbis.

20161027_152036.jpg

20170506_135946.jpg

tdileo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In my experience, filter feeders LOVE messy foods like frozen mixtures and powdered coral mixtures based on zoo/phyto.
This shouldn't be related at all but your alk is definitely on the high end. Most people with lower nutrient tanks only have theirs around 8/9 but if your corals are happy I suppose theres no point in changing it

OP
OP
A

Andy G

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So, reducing feeding would be my first choice. Whether that's rinsing your frozen foods or feeding smaller amount (I'd chose feeding three or four small amounts a day that one or two big feedings, though I know that's not always an option). If bringing avaible food down doesn't work, you may want to CAREFULLY consider going the "natural" route. For me I went with a sixline wrasse. Honestly something I regretted every day after the first month or so until the day I got rid of him (not an easy task). There are others put there that may be a good choice as well, just remember this isn't a surefire fix. I chose the sixline based on a small amount of research (obviously too little) and the fact that his tank was the only tank in the fish store free of spirorbis.

20161027_152036.jpg

20170506_135946.jpg
Thanks! I'm strongly considering a wrasse.

Did you get rid of it because of aggression?

If you had to choose again would you consider a different type of wrasse?

BTW, very nice aquascaping!

Ty Hamatake

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Normally I feed Reef Frenzy frozen, mixed with Seaweed extreme pellets from Hikary.

The last week and a half been feeding Dr. G antiparasitic frozen food and will end treatment in a few days.

The worms stared before I started Dr. Gs.

What do you think? Should I change food?
If it's small enough to feed coral, it's definitely small enough to feed spirorbis...

OP
OP
A

Andy G

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In my experience, filter feeders LOVE messy foods like frozen mixtures and powdered coral mixtures based on zoo/phyto.
This shouldn't be related at all but your alk is definitely on the high end. Most people with lower nutrient tanks only have theirs around 8/9 but if your corals are happy I suppose theres no point in changing it
Good point about alk, is the salt I'm using RedSea Coral Pro. It comes with 11 alk at every new mix. Corals don't seem to have an issue but I'm not seing significant grow.

Will change to regular RedSea as soon as I'm finish with this bucket.

What food did you recommend?

Ty Hamatake

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks! I'm strongly considering a wrasse.

Did you get rid of it because of aggression?

If you had to choose again would you consider a different type of wrasse?

BTW, very nice aquascaping!
I did get rid of him due to aggression. He bullied at least two other fish to death (purple firefish and orange banded goby). As far as which others are good... I don't know, but @evolved may have an answer.

Thank you! That's nice to hear considering I worked at it for a while :)

tdileo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good point about alk, is the salt I'm using RedSea Coral Pro. It comes with 11 alk at every new mix. Corals don't seem to have an issue but I'm not seing significant grow.

I mostly use New Life Spectrum pellets, PE mysis shrimp, nori, and oyster. Sometime in the future I would like to get one of those frozen mixtures though, I hear fish love them!

Ty Hamatake

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I know this wasn't to me, but if it ain't broke, don't fix it! Consistency is key, before you switch salts, I'd try bringing your NO3 (nitrates) up to around 5-10 ppm and see if that helps with growth. As a side note, you may have some algae stages when fluctuating nutrient levels, but if you stick with it and let everything stabilize it should go away and leave a happier tank behind it :)

When I was battling spirorbis, I switched pretty much mainly to pellets. Ive had good results with Spectrum brand products.

Karie

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've never had these but that could be because I always had at least one wrasse. It depends on your tank mates. Six lines will be semi aggressive but as long as your other fish are not pushovers, you're ok. Now I have a six line with a maroon clown (I know what you are thinking but she is a sweetie) and my maroon doesn't let him get aways with much. To me a four line is even more aggressive. I also have a melanarus wrasse in another tank. He is beautiful and keeps everything clean. He also is pretty mild mannered - more than the six line. At one point I had a yellow coris wrasse but she started going after all of my inverts so I pawned her off on a friend. Now I also have a pygmy wrasse. I don't know how much she keeps clean for me but she hardly ever eats my frozen food so she is picking worms or bugs from somewhere. I wouldn't ever have a tank without a wrasse. To me they are part of your clean up crew.

Flasher wrasses are beautiful but as far as I know they don't pick at your worms and other things. At least mine never did.

Good luck

OP
OP
A

Andy G

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've never had these but that could be because I always had at least one wrasse. It depends on your tank mates. Six lines will be semi aggressive but as long as your other fish are not pushovers, you're ok. Now I have a six line with a maroon clown (I know what you are thinking but she is a sweetie) and my maroon doesn't let him get aways with much. To me a four line is even more aggressive. I also have a melanarus wrasse in another tank. He is beautiful and keeps everything clean. He also is pretty mild mannered - more than the six line. At one point I had a yellow coris wrasse but she started going after all of my inverts so I pawned her off on a friend. Now I also have a pygmy wrasse. I don't know how much she keeps clean for me but she hardly ever eats my frozen food so she is picking worms or bugs from somewhere. I wouldn't ever have a tank without a wrasse. To me they are part of your clean up crew.

Flasher wrasses are beautiful but as far as I know they don't pick at your worms and other things. At least mine never did.

Good luck
Thanks for you message.
Yesterday i got a melanarus wrasse, very blue.
Let's see if he starts eating the spirobid worms.

Wish me luck! [emoji4]

KirtiS

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for you message.
Yesterday i got a melanarus wrasse, very blue.
Let's see if he starts eating the spirobid worms.

Wish me luck! [emoji4]
ATB ! Let me know if the Melanarus Wrasse works ! I love the Mealanarus and I am thinking of adding him to my 2 Yellow and 1 six-line Wrasse ! BTW, my six-line is doing great with my others wrasses and fire gobys

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 40 41.7%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 21 21.9%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 33 34.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.1%
Back