How contagious is Zoa Pox?

RedFrog211

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a frag of zoas that was growing really well. Today one was closed up, and I noticed what I’ve identified as zoa pox. I’ve read a lot of speculation online, but haven’t found a direct answer. Is zoa pox contagious through the water, or is does it have to be touching another colony? I did remove the zoa frag and have it in a container, but due to my work schedule, it’ll probably be at least another 2 days before I can get Furan2 for treatment. I also have a good amount of zoas from TSA “beat the rush” event arriving on the 1st. I did read speculation that pox is caused by a change in the water column. About 5 days ago I did a water change; guess I took out too much bacteria, because the next morning my tank was cloudy and brown. After a day or two it cleared up- could this change have cause the pox? Are my other colonies in danger? Sorry for the long message. I would appreciate any advice!!

Ron Reefman

Lets Go Snorkeling!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Seriously? Almost a month old post listed with the emergency tag and nobody has any help for this person?

I'd help, but I know nothing about zoa pox (as I assume most people don't).

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Honestly I have always just made sure my water quality was up to par and the pox would clear up.

OP
OP
RedFrog211

RedFrog211

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I eventually cut my losses and threw away the infected frag. Hate giving up on coral like that, but I didn’t have the ability to treat it, and I didn’t want to risk infecting the others. Everything is happy in the tank for now :)

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 16 17.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 4 4.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 16 17.6%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 47 51.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 8.8%
Back