Slug-like mass around hammer base ?

  • Thread starter Thread starter hobie61
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

hobie61

Active Member
View Badges
Joined
Dec 2, 2020
Messages
149
Reaction score
101
Location
Essex Jct., VT
What state or country do you live in
Vermont
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi,

I have a hammer coral in my 35 gal tank for a year +. Has several heads growing on it now and seems healthy. I knocked it off its perch by doing something else. Upon reattaching i found (2) slug-like substances (maybe a cocoon) of something wrapped around the main base. Probably an inch long. Didnt seem to be alive and noticed a hole in them. I'm guessing that was not beneficial. I peeled them off, dipped, and put some coral glue around the stem. I cut the mass open and seemed to be a few small white specks/eggs inside. I searched the forums and havent found an answer what it may be. Probably doesnt matter, but base rock is all dry rock.

Seeking thoughts what it could be. Just so what to look out for in the future, or problems i can expect.

Thanks for your time and guidance.

20230921_170316.jpg
 
Probably a sponge, but possibly colonial tunicates - with a few exceptions, they’re generally harmless filter feeders.
 
I agree, there's some tube like on the bottom pieces but still Very pale/ white, I would agree with sponge.

As you have removed, if in doubt throw it out then seek answers after, I doubt they are beneficial if you can not find answers with general enquiries
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE LOUDEST PART OF YOUR REEF SYSTEM?

  • Return pump

    Votes: 2 3.5%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 4 7.0%
  • Protein skimmer

    Votes: 14 24.6%
  • Overflow or drain

    Votes: 14 24.6%
  • Sump vibration or plumbing

    Votes: 1 1.8%
  • Cooling fans

    Votes: 9 15.8%
  • Dosing, ATO, or other equipment

    Votes: 2 3.5%
  • Nothing. My reef is surprisingly quiet

    Votes: 8 14.0%
  • Other (Tell us what makes the noise)

    Votes: 3 5.3%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new