Small ammonia spike? Mini cycle?

kingkapoor

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My tank is a recently cycled tank( 55 gallons), that being said it was well cycled. I brought ammonia levels to 3-4 ppm and waited till they dropped to 0 before adding fish.

Today my ammonia reading was around 0.25 on my API (about 2 weeks later). Some small changes have gone on in the past few days, I added a protein skimmer, added and removed a UV filter,

How bad is this level 0.25 ppm? I so far added one cap full of seachem prime . Fish themselves seem fine. I also added some biospira.

Should I do a water change right now or is this level okay temporarily?

Mjrenz

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My tank is a recently cycled tank( 55 gallons), that being said it was well cycled. I brought ammonia levels to 3-4 ppm and waited till they dropped to 0 before adding fish.

Today my ammonia reading was around 0.25 on my API (about 2 weeks later). Some small changes have gone on in the past few days, I added a protein skimmer, added and removed a UV filter,

How bad is this level 0.25 ppm? I so far added one cap full of seachem prime . Fish themselves seem fine. I also added some biospira.

Should I do a water change right now or is this level okay temporarily?
I wouldn't completly trust the api kit but you have done the right thing already with the biospira and prime. You should be ok but if you're still worried I'd recommend picking up a better ammonia testing kit or take a water sample to your lfs to double check

Mjrenz

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Since you're reading nitrates I'd say your cycle is compete, api kits are prone to indicating low levels of ammonia and nitrite, especially in saltwater, even if they aren't there. Most reefers don't even bother testing for ammonia and nitrite once the cycle is completed. I think you should be ok. If you notice any signs of distress in the fish then check back in.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Coincides with cycling. Although present, not sky high.
Using API kits, although user friendly can produces readings that are not on spot. To assure you are getting Good reading, Take a water sample to a trusted LFS and have them test as a second result and to compare with your current results

easter-fish-1458838314.jpg

OP
OP
kingkapoor

kingkapoor

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Coincides with cycling. Although present, not sky high.
Using API kits, although user friendly can produces readings that are not on spot. To assure you are getting Good reading, Take a water sample to a trusted LFS and have them test as a second result and to compare with your current results

easter-fish-1458838314.jpg

Thanks! So I tested my water today and my ammonia is 0 but my nitrites are 0.25. My guess is my tank had a mini cycle when I changed some of the equipment around? My fish should still be okay at this level right?

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Thanks! So I tested my water today and my ammonia is 0 but my nitrites are 0.25. My guess is my tank had a mini cycle when I changed some of the equipment around? My fish should still be okay at this level right?
Yes,,,,, that's a small level jump. Would not hurt to add a little liquid bacteria weekly as your tank is maturing. Fritz turbo zyme 900 is a great product

OP
OP
kingkapoor

kingkapoor

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes,,,,, that's a small level jump. Would not hurt to add a little liquid bacteria weekly as your tank is maturing. Fritz turbo zyme 900 is a great product

Perfect, I just ordered some, used biospira and stability for now.

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
those aren't needed if you want to cancel the purchase/not too late

nitrite isn't important in marine cycling, only ammonia is, yours is ok

your cycle is done and complete, see thread: microbiology of reef tank cycling

we're discussing a similar tank to yours from reefcentral there now last page.

we use links from the chemistry forum discussing how nitrite isn't needed to know...testing for ammonia only sure is a money saver.

nitrate, nitrite, don't factor. the reason why? to save unneeded retail purchases.

we built a thread that turns out multiple cycled aquaria not using any kits. where testing is demanded, its ammonia only if you want to have cycles become consistent.

we list myriad reasons why nitrite testing isn't even accurate in our wastewater pre cycling tests. you are not required to measure, respond to, or factor nitrite at all in your cycle. if you want to that's ok, bottle bac makers have the marketing in place such that most will, and they'll redo occasionally just for good measure too$$
https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/the-microbiology-of-reef-tank-cycling.214618/

B

Last edited:
OP
OP
kingkapoor

kingkapoor

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
those aren't needed if you want to cancel the purchase/not too late

nitrite isn't important in marine cycling, only ammonia is, yours is ok

your cycle is done and complete, see thread: microbiology of reef tank cycling

we're discussing a similar tank to yours from reefcentral there now last page.

we use links from the chemistry forum discussing how nitrite isn't needed to know...testing for ammonia only sure is a money saver.

nitrate, nitrite, don't factor. the reason why? to save unneeded retail purchases.

we built a thread that turns out multiple cycled aquaria not using any kits. where testing is demanded, its ammonia only if you want to have cycles become consistent.

we list myriad reasons why nitrite testing isn't even accurate in our wastewater pre cycling tests. you are not required to measure, respond to, or factor nitrite at all in your cycle. if you want to that's ok, bottle bac makers have the marketing in place such that most will, and they'll redo occasionally just for good measure too$$
https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/the-microbiology-of-reef-tank-cycling.214618/

B

Perfect will check it out thanks! because I had a small ammonia spike yesterday I added a fluval ammonia zorb packet *zeolite. Should I be worried about this packet starving my beneficial bacteria of ammonia?

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
no, nothing can starve them

in my thread we have a particular live rock reef tank that sat in someones garage for thirty six months unfed, barely topped off, and still passed oxidation testing on the 3rd year, it always works like that.

using Prime makes all future nitrite and ammonia testing invalid, give that thread a good read, we never take longer than 30 days. yours is the same, all the testing beyond ammonia is adding stress.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 41 22.8%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 60 33.3%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 58 32.2%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 17 9.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.2%
Back