Small restart... What's the best thing you've added?

tgrick

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just reentered the hobby after a 15 year absence. Prior to this I was taking care of "saltwater tanks" in my early youth. Those "saltwater tanks" became reef tanks before I reached my 20s. The time when protein skimmers used lime wood air stones and we used airlift tubes! Goooo Silent Giants!!!

To my way of thinking automation has been key. I hated having a million timers for lights and other gadgets.

ATO...yes. This one is also major...I remembr always dumping "tap" water into my tank just to top it off. RODI water came much later in the hobby. Clean tap water is a major one we take for granted.

Lights! I love LED lighting! Have you ever felt the heat of a Metal Halide against your skin?! Ouch and a few select curse words.

So taking this back to the original question. Automation/Information. I love knowing what my base parameters are. That give me warm fuzzies. LED lights and equipment with Wifi...that also adds to my piece of mind.

OP
OP
G

GeoffSLC

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sounds like my tank is going robotic! I love the idea of a controller, just added a new ATO and started a dual media reactor. Does anyone supplement T5's with LED's? I love my ATI, but would like a little more pop.

40B Knasty

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sounds like my tank is going robotic! I love the idea of a controller, just added a new ATO and started a dual media reactor. Does anyone supplement T5's with LED's? I love my ATI, but would like a little more pop.
I have seen one and it helped for some pop. Look up Reefbrite xho LED strip. It connects to the front of your T5 fixture. A little pricey, but definitely works. The best lights for T5 is ATI Blue+ that I have seen and used.
From some videos those E5 lights that are from Euroaquatics look nice, but good luck finding the good blue one.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 37 15.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 13 5.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 12.9%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 135 58.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 16 6.9%
Back