Status
Not open for further replies.

Angel_Anthias lover

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I mean most tangs get to a foot long or almost that size, or bigger. They are large, open water swimmers, that swim out in the open above the reef and swim great distances, some like the powder blue migrate, and so they like space, and when kept in small quarters are often cramped which can stress them heavily, especially incredibly delicate species like the achilles tang, keeping those in a small tank will only fuel snorkel bobs rage. Comparing this to other species of commonly kept reef fish, like damsels and angelfish and anthias, most of these stay in the same area their whole lives and dont swim anywhere as far or as much or even in the same manner as tangs. So yes when people keep tangs in small tanks, people will have something to say, i know people want to keep other fish types in small tanks and they get told the same, its just not often as much of a problem, or as stressful on the fish as keeping a tang in a small tank. And its not as if people dont ask this frequently enough or make it obvious enough, with the hundreds of threads on this topic, that it really shouldnt keep coming up, but some people just want to be told they can do that isnt in the fishes best interest (the OP doesn not seem to be this way inclined, thankfully), and thats why people get so annoyed.

Im sorry your friend got turned away, i would encourage him or her back if they are interested.

Last edited:

KyOsIBa515

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi, you are really a voice of reason here. It's amazing that Tangs seem to create havoc in this forum. I have a friend who has never even kept a goldfish. He saw a saltwater tank and, since he knew I did it, he asked me about it. I told him it would be better that he start small with freshwater. Then I made the mistake of telling him to read this forum. He called me later and asked "what the heck is a Tang?", and then he said "I didn't know you fish people are so hostile!". Kind of makes you think when a person with no knowledge of the subject, and no particular agenda, makes that observation. I also don't know how there can be said with such certainty that Tangs must be kept in a certain size tank, or why Tangs are such an issue. BTW, my friend has not mentioned getting an aquarium again! I don't know why arguring about Tangs generates such rage. I think you are absolutely right. Keeping any fish could be said to be animal cruelty. Maybe those "crazy" people who are saying all keeping of aquatic animals should be outlawed are right!
I have had aquariums all my life....saltwater for 15 of those years. I treat everyone as if it were me 15 years ago starting out. If everyone would of scorned me or discouraged me from trying I would of never had stayed in the hobby. What these people don’t realize is despite a 65 gallon aquarium or a 500 gallon aquarium no fish species is truthfully safe. They are 100% at our mercy. All we can do it build the environment that is suitable for them. I’d rather have a 65 gallon aquarium with a small tang, pair of clowns and damsels over a 300 gallon tank with a sailfin and all predatory fish. I knew someone who lost a show sailfin because he put it in a 300 gallon aquarium with a larger tessalata eel. It didn’t go well...but hey, his aquarium was of appropriate size and gallon for the tang...right?

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have had aquariums all my life....saltwater for 15 of those years. I treat everyone as if it were me 15 years ago starting out. If everyone would of scorned me or discouraged me from trying I would of never had stayed in the hobby. What these people don’t realize is despite a 65 gallon aquarium or a 500 gallon aquarium no fish species is truthfully safe. They are 100% at our mercy. All we can do it build the environment that is suitable for them. I’d rather have a 65 gallon aquarium with a small tang, pair of clowns and damsels over a 300 gallon tank with a sailfin and all predatory fish. I knew someone who lost a show sailfin because he put it in a 300 gallon aquarium with a larger tessalata eel. It didn’t go well...but hey, his aquarium was of appropriate size and gallon for the tang...right?
Its not an "either/or" scenario. People can have fish in appropriate sized tanks AND also choose appropriate tankmates.

Thats why research on a th÷ subject is important. To research and understand what will lead to success and why.

And while fish are at the mercy of our care, for the most part, when we research and choose appropriately, we mitigate the risk to their lives. Mother nature does her best to kill fish in the wild, whether through predators, competition, storms, etc. Whereas in a tank, when properly executed, that is avoided.

U

User1

View Badges
I never really understand how someone can be such a strong advocate of one genome of fish yet disregard the whole ideology that we are keeping fish for none other than our own selfish desire. Regardless of a tang or a clownfish. We are in a hobby with virtually 100% fail rate. 99% of the people on this site have probably never seen a 10 year tank without catastrophic livestock failure. So be an advocate for the fish you wish to help meet it’s demise...and those sir are facts. If he wants to keep a fish give him the risks not scorn him.

Your right, you don't. You are taking those who said no and applying undertones such as scorn. Again, if you don't want to hear the answer don't ask the question. No one here is being rude. Most who reply to these, and they come up frequently such that most of us don't reply anymore, try and provide a reason why. That still falls on deaf ears.

Some reasons for no:

1. Aggression
2. Actual volume vs tank size
3. Difficulty of catching fish to re-home
4. Stress

As I stated in another thread we are all keeping animals in a smaller environment that what they are captured in. Sort of the pot calling the kettle out, right? We agree. Where you and I disagree is around certain fish in a certain tank size and the underlying tones. That isn't happening.

Lastly - maybe the closet bit may be over the top. However, it was noted to put it into perspective or help visualise. Sometimes you have to ask just because you can does it mean should? And that is probably what makes the difference between success and failure.

Have a great day.

Last edited by a moderator:

Casket_Case

Frags in the Frathouse
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know I might get hate for it but whatever hahaha. I have a Blue Regal Tang in my forty gallon since she’s so small... I have the rockwork in the middle of the aquarium so she can swim laps around it with no obstacles. She’s doing just fine and seems to be enjoying life. I’d say keeping a tang in a forty gallon is okay, only if you accept the fact one day you will have to rehome her. I hope I could help!

Calebb8133

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Everytime there is a argument about tangs people go crazy. The thing that doesn't make sense is if a 4" Tang and a 4" wrasse are both in a 4' tank then why does the Tang need an larger tank and the wrasse (or any other similar fish) does not? Wrasses r generally just as active as tangs so why do tangs need a bigger size?

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Everytime there is a argument about tangs people go crazy. The thing that doesn't make sense is if a 4" Tang and a 4" wrasse are both in a 4' tank then why does the Tang need an larger tank and the wrasse (or any other similar fish) does not? Wrasses r generally just as active as tangs so why do tangs need a bigger size?
There are plenty of wrasses that stay 4" or close to it. All tangs get well over that size.

Calebb8133

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A 4" tang has significantly greater mass than a 4" wrasse, produces more waste, is more aggressive, and although both are active, their displays and swimming behavior is different.
I still don't get it because wrasses pick stuff off rocks just as much as tangs do yes they r normally more narrow but isn't the point of a larger tank for a tang based on its length? Not it's "weight"? I am trying to understand and sincerely want to but I can't get past other fish with similar behavior and size not needing a larger tank as well. And yes ik as tangs get larger a 4' tank is probably not the best but why can't they be in a smaller tank temporarily? Like a year or possibly two. I mean as long as u know how to easily catch him and either have plans on upgrading or rehoming...

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I still don't get it because wrasses pick stuff off rocks just as much as tangs do yes they r normally more narrow but isn't the point of a larger tank for a tang based on its length? Not it's "weight"? I am trying to understand and sincerely want to but I can't get past other fish with similar behavior and size not needing a larger tank as well. And yes ik as tangs get larger a 4' tank is probably not the best but why can't they be in a smaller tank temporarily? Like a year or possibly two. I mean as long as u know how to easily catch him and either have plans on upgrading or rehoming...
Because of it's body shape a wrasse can and does utilize the open space above the rock work, which is difficult or impossible for the deeper bodied tang.

Swimming space is only one of the factors that make a 40g unsuitable for a tang. Having greater mass means the produce more waste and water quality impacts their growth.

Tangs are also more susceptible to parasites due to having a thinner slime coat and being in a small tank leads to stress which further compromises it's immune response.

Also, most tangs come from surge zones which means they need water more saturated with O2, which gets depleted faster in smaller tanks.

KyOsIBa515

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your right, you don't. You are taking those who said no and applying undertones such as scorn. Again, if you don't want to hear the answer don't ask the question. No one here is being rude. Most who reply to these, and they come up frequently such that most of us don't reply anymore, try and provide a reason why. That still falls on deaf ears.

Some reasons for no:

1. Aggression
2. Actual volume vs tank size
3. Difficulty of catching fish to re-home
4. Stress

As I stated in another thread we are all keeping animals in a smaller environment that what they are captured in. Sort of the pot calling the kettle out, right? We agree. Where you and I disagree is around certain fish in a certain tank size and the underlying tones. That isn't happening.

Lastly - maybe the closet bit may be over the top. However, it was noted to put it into perspective or help visualise. Sometimes you have to ask just because you can does it mean should? And that is probably what makes the difference between success and failure.

Have a great day.
I agree with a tang should be put into a tank of reason. I wouldn’t of put one in an old JBJ 28g cube. Even though they had a yellow tang in the tank on the box...smh. In reality a 3 foot tank properly stocked you can still keep and produce a healthy tang. Yes, all of what you have said can lead to an unhealthy tang but my biggest concern outside of illness for a tang (which can happen in any tank size) would be dissolved oxygen. I believe that is the biggest limiting factor in volume vs tank size. A tang in a smaller tank and improperly stocked or overstocked will get less oxygen and will cause major metabolic decline. Probably the biggest reason for stunted or unhealthy fish in the hobby over any environmental concern.

Conovan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi, you are really a voice of reason here. It's amazing that Tangs seem to create havoc in this forum. I have a friend who has never even kept a goldfish. He saw a saltwater tank and, since he knew I did it, he asked me about it. I told him it would be better that he start small with freshwater. Then I made the mistake of telling him to read this forum. He called me later and asked "what the heck is a Tang?", and then he said "I didn't know you fish people are so hostile!". Kind of makes you think when a person with no knowledge of the subject, and no particular agenda, makes that observation. I also don't know how there can be said with such certainty that Tangs must be kept in a certain size tank, or why Tangs are such an issue. BTW, my friend has not mentioned getting an aquarium again! I don't know why arguring about Tangs generates such rage. I think you are absolutely right. Keeping any fish could be said to be animal cruelty. Maybe those "crazy" people who are saying all keeping of aquatic animals should be outlawed are right!
As someone very new to saltwater; tang threads and lighting threads seem to be the most argumentative when you hop on here and strart reading.

Conovan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My Yellow Eye Kole Tang literally eats & picks at algae 24/7 while lights are on. It’s a two in one for me, it looks great & keeps the tank looking great too. They’re also fine in smaller tanks, should be perfectly fine in your 65g
How fast did your kole tang grow? seems like one of the smaller tangs and that would make it more suited than most.

Tahoe61

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I appreciate your passion for the hobby but you need to slow down and do your homework.

;)

OP
OP

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, I will just get some nice, personality rich fish such as gobies and blennies, I have a pincushion urchin so he'll just do the algae control for me and he has a coral beauty to help him.

mkwarner77

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@mkwarner77 I’m sorry to hear of your experience. Did they have obvious signs of illness? Obvious signs of stress? Were they eating? Any issues with their tank mates?
They ate ok, but not well for a short period of time, then stopped foraging and were gone in less than a week. Kept putting in sheets of nori but most wouldn't eat it. My experience were with small scopa tangs, which from my understanding, are alot more difficult to adapt to a new tank. The longest one lived was a month, but he was the largest. Decided I wouldnt torture those poor fish anymore and settled on the no tang fact.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 7 22.6%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 25 80.6%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 7 22.6%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 1 3.2%
  • Other

Votes: 2 6.5%
Back