Small Town Reefer

SeymourDuncan

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In my location, there is not much of a pet store population. My town has nothing but dog grooming shoppes. To the west we have one store who's owner tells people their fish can drown and uses nothing but nano skimmers on their fluctuating display tanks. To the east we have 26,000sqft of please just shut down your store. The owners work 9-5 m-f and do not allow their employees to sell saltwater....unless it is to me and I handle the livestock. (Used to groom dogs there). To the north we have corn for a few hours...then a freshwater only store. South I have to drive 2hrs to get to the nearest place of which we all know...Premium Aquatics. However their hours are reduced as to not make any non-wholesalers go out of business. The same distance to the southwest is another decent place but has normal hours, however is severely overpriced. Nobody wants to pay $30 for Xenia.

So the lack of Saltwater Stores is not the only thing that comes with living in a farmers dream state. A Lack of saltwater enthusiasts is also an issue that correlates to this problem. Maybe there are not enough stores to encourage more hobbyists? Maybe there aren't enough hobbyists to encourage more stores? Either way, it is very hard to have any local reefer role models. Since my first experience I have solely relied on this website to educate me into a well rounded reefing individual that is the local role model. People come from distances as far and farther just to grab a few frags, have a sump built, or just shoot the (Hey, don't say it)! I'm not one to brag, as you all know from my threads. I try to be humble and accepting to all ideas when possible. Being open minded as takin criticism as help and not insults has always been my ticket to success.

Yeah I started with a stupid idea of an aquarium, and now that I look back on my old tank I really would go back and slap my own face...hard. I didn't quarantine and I sure didn't understand photosynthesis beyond its definition. When I asked for help from the local suppliers they were clueless. Just do a water change, your light is fine. I had a freshwater LED made for a 10g on a 55....sound good enough? No...time for more outsourcing. I happened to go up To Michigan that week and stopped in at MVP pets in portage. Holy cow! What a change! A room packed with every fish on the planet...corals of all shapes and...they come in different colors?!?!? What? I was in shock and to make matters worse they have a whale of a sale every last Wednesday of every month. Buy one get one half off. So that was my first real LFS experience. I took home my first reef light, a Deep Blue 4x54w w/ built in timer. That was he most advanced light I have ever seen at the time. They had LEDs and halides there but they were still newer technology and I was happy spending $200 for my light.

At this point I had a few hitch hiker corals, which was why I was searching for a light in the first place. The next morning when the light came on automatically it made all the corals get so big I almost wet my pants. I was on the way to an awesome (to me) tank.

Back to planet earth: as my corals grew I decided to go more into the design of these systems and figure out if I was even close. At this point I had made a 4ft tall canister filter out of PVC and a crapload of gravel. (Another slap me in the face thing). I soon learned about sumps and all the stuff that goes In them. Of course, diy overflows are not te best so I had some flooding there for a while in the rental shanty. I eventually got a drilled tank with no overflow, just the standpipes.
That was my last learning experience before i started to pre-plan things rather than fill and build as I learn. The tank was cool. Mostly polyps and softies. I had a puffer fish and a lion as well who were really quite good friends. I began to collect rocks and things and eventually had way too much stuff. I wasn't aware Craigslist had anything like this until I accidentally found my next tank.

125 lowboy. I still regret selling that. It was solid oak stand and canopy and I actually spent 2 weeks preparing the upgrade...making sure this was the best it could be. And it was! Then I moved....lost it all to a wad of cash haha.
At that point I was craigslisting corals daily. I met so many people and made a few great new friends from out of town. Eventually i started becoming the go-to guy for everything, mainly advise. This is when I decided to actually go about this like a business.

I set up a frag tank and started going nuts at it. Made so much cash I was able to upgrade all my equipment and have a tank that was reef ready. No more overflows!!

I am still learnin new things all the time. People ask me stuff I have not experienced, like flat worms or how to install something. Heck, try to find a local calcium reactor, I dare you. As people started getting online more and hearing about these wonderful pieces o equipment, I too was experiencing a lot of this stuff for my first time as well, only I have a very fast learning curve that I get from working in sales..you have to know what some thing does or nobody will buy it!!!

Today I can say that I am current with the hip new trends. I know what each piece of equipment on the market can do. I even know the majority of care required by most corals and fish. I can even program a reefKeeper to do anything I need, or don't need :)

The struggle of a small town reef keeper is not an easy one. I feel all the work I have put into this hobby were worth all the problems I ran into and the hours of weeding through situational evidence of how certain things work and react. I use these experiences now as examples for others and strive to prevent as many people as I can from taking the hard way to the top.

Forums are a tricky one. We got lucky here on R2R, but other places may not be so friendly to those who need help. One thing that people simply won't grasp is the importance of a quarantine system. How many people do you know who doesn't do this? I feel that out of all the problems I ran into,quarantine was the answer to most and I will stay up for days arguing about it if someone wants to try to say they don't need to. Did your live rock come from a tank with fish or corals? How about your sand? Inverts aren't susceptible to things like ich...but they can carry it with them. Inverts are not restricted to things sold individually, they live on rocks and in the sand as well. Ich can be contracted from a cup of sand from a system that has it present. Normally you would set up your tank with rock and sand only to leave it fallow during the cycle...basically this is where the sand and rock are experiencing "quarantine." It sounds silly to quarantine a new rock, but it sounds even more silly to waste a month trying to catch your fish. Other than making sure your livestock is healthy BEFORE it goes in your system, the rest is flexible. Light options, pump options, and stock lists can all be tailored to your needs.

Its not impossible to blossom in a location unaware of the hobby. It takes a lot of motivation and you cannot give up no matter what. Be prepared to drive far and order things online. Get your plans together before you go all out. Learn the importance of quarantine! In a small town with little access to supplies, an outbreak of ich or any other issue can make or break your drive for this hobby.

We don't all live in places swarming with frag swaps, we have nobody to give us an updated critique, we have you...the World Wide Web. Thank you for being there for me this whole time and I am more than happy to help you back. I have never been in a hobby that has had such high class. Reefers are certainly their own breed of people. Some of us are maniacs, some of us are democrats, some of us get payed to use baseball bats outside of sports...but one thing we all have in common is our love and devotion to saltwater aquariums and all the things related to them.

Tell me you know someone who says, "no I do not want to look at your wrasse" and I will gladly show them mine.

Oliver_Klosoff

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm in the same boat. 2 hours away from any LFS that sells saltwater and now their tanks are going down hill fast. Can't hardly see the fish for the cyano covering the glass. I had the same growing pains. I had to shut things down and sell off livestock in order to build our house but now I get to correct all the problems I had with my old tank. I had over flows to and more water on the floor than I would like to admit. So now that there is no water in the tank I am drilling it to set up a Calfo overflow and dorso standpipes, a DIY wave maker. I don't like the look of power heads so I will be plumbing a CLS as well and hide all the plumbing in DIY LR. I am looking forward to my build. But I am worried about stocking my tank with fish from those stores. I don't have any experience with online stores but I may have to get to know them soon.

Thanks for your threads I have been following along with your cyano sump it has been very interesting. Keep up the good work looking forward to reading more and learning as much as I can.

mcarroll

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All that algae isn't the greatest sign, but it's important to remember that it's not going to hurt the fish or your tank, and it's no more a sign of bad fish than clean tanks are a sign of heathy fish.

Algae and cyano are everywhere - even your tank. They only bloom when conditions are right though. Also they do a great job at cleaning the water, so at least the LFS fish have that going for them! :)

Know as best as you can how to tell a healthy fish from the rest and do not be afraid to go home empty handed and you won't go wrong. :)

-Matt

P.S. Also worth considering that you will pick by hand. Ordering online you get fish from tanks that look as bad or worse than those and you don't even get to pick!

Last edited:

Oliver_Klosoff

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah but the thing is if my LFS does not care to make there tanks look as good as posable in order to sell more fish then how well are they caring for those fish. My comment also was based on the fact that these stores did a much better job of things in the past. Like you said cyano won't hurt my tank but it only takes a second each day to clean the glass. To me that is a sign of laziness and to me that equals laziness in care of the fish as well.

How ever you are very right about the online stores. That is my biggest worry.

I think my best plan is to talk to the LFS and get them to let me know when the fish will be flown in and pick them up before they go into the LFS tanks and QT the fish for myself assuming the LFS quarantines the fish before they go into their sales tanks. I know this is a bit of a risk. As in if the fish was to die while in their tanks due to not eating or stress they eat the loss. If I take the fish still in the bag it was shipped in and I was to take it strait home only to have it die on me for the same reasons the cost is on me. But I am thinking in the long run If I can do this it will be less stress on the fish being acclimated at least one less time. Plus I will be certain the fish has been QTed properly and my DT is safe.

mcarroll

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wouldn't read too much into it....these criteria are a good way to pick between fish stores if you have options, and for the reasons you stated.

However, if it's your only choice....or all the choices a similar in this respect....

I guess I am saying it's really a cosmetic issue.

Times are tough for everyone and if the store is short staffed, aquarium glass scraping is actually not that high on the list to keep things healthy (which is actually a higher priority than looking nice for sale). The reality may be that thanks to the ugly algae the water in those tanks is cleaner and better oxygenated than it has ever been....nevermind the looks! ;)

If you can tell a healthy fish from ones that are not, then it's really no big deal at all. (It's easy when possible...but remember not every malady has external early warning signs. This is irrespective of where the fish is purchased and pretty much goes with every wild-caught fish purchased anywhere.)

-Matt

Oliver_Klosoff

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good point Matt. My family owned a General store and appearance was everything but you are right we only had to make the shelfs look clean. We didn't have to worry about filters or cleaning skimmer cups.

OP
OP
S

SeymourDuncan

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow haha, lost this in all my other threads :)

Glad to be of service, if not just out of entertainment! I have a ton of fun with my experiments. That's the whole point of the hobby I think: to find a better system and keep improving upon it while exploring all dimensions.

The ocean is by far the most diverse system in the world. There is not enough usage of all of these aspects to have a perfect system yet. One day we will have to rescue the ocean critters when we finally max out the earths population and pollution rate.

Oliver_Klosoff

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree we all may have the only reefs around lol. I like how the environmentalist are starting to go after the hobby trade for killing reefs. And not going after the big companies that are out there leaking oil into the reefs or the raising temps in the world due to their pollution. Don't get me wrong I am hoping the decline in natural reefs will be reversed any way it can. I will be doing my very best to leave the reef that is still in the ocean in the ocean and buy frags and as many aquacultured fish that I can.

Oliver_Klosoff

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree we all may have the only reefs around lol. I like how the environmentalist are starting to go after the hobby trade for killing reefs and not trying harder to go after the big companies that are out there leaking oil into the reefs or the raising temps in the world due to their pollution. Don't get me wrong I am hoping the decline in natural reefs will be reversed any way it can and if our hobby really makes that big an impact then I would rather leave the reef where it is but I would really be surprised if that were the case. I know I will still be doing my very best to leave the reef that is still in the ocean in the ocean and buy frags and as many aquacultured fish that I can.

OP
OP
S

SeymourDuncan

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Its mainly pollution, we don't do too much aside from the people who ignore treating their livestock and stuff. Not a huge percentage considering marine aquarists are only a tiny percentage of the general animal hobby as a whole. Hunting does worse harm...and I bet there are far more game hunters than aquarists. Hence all the bullet shells in the woods...or is that just around here?

Making aqua concoctions: Have you ever tried the Reef Moonshiner Method?

• I currently use the moonshiner method.

Votes: 51 20.4%
  • I don’t currently use the moonshiner method, but I have in the past.

Votes: 5 2.0%
  • I have not used the moonshiner method.

Votes: 182 72.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 4.8%
Back