Small White Nubs at Edge of Yellow Tang Tail

slingfox

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello Reef2Reef, I am a new to the hobby and just started putting fish into my tank after going through an 8 day cycle. The very first fish I added was a 2" Biota Yellow Tang. It has one companion---a juvenile one spot fox face from an LFS.

The Yellow Tang seems to have two tiny white nubs at the edge of its tail fin. Is this something I should quarantine and treat for?

Update: It looks like one white dot on one of its pectoral fins as well. I assume this is potentially ich? If so should I treat both fish?

IMG_3270.jpeg

swervinscoot

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are they both eating? I'd keep the stress low and monitor if more spots start to show up.

OP
OP
S

slingfox

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are they both eating? I'd keep the stress low and monitor if more spots start to show up.
Yes both fish are eating well. I will monitor this thread for now and keep checking on the fish. I will order a Hanna Copper High Range checker just in case things do down that route :(

swervinscoot

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes both fish are eating well. I will monitor this thread for now and keep checking on the fish. I will order a Hanna Copper High Range checker just in case things do down that route :(
Fish only system? I would not get upset just yet. Keep them eating (lots of nori).

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Hello Reef2Reef, I am a new to the hobby and just started putting fish into my tank after going through an 8 day cycle. The very first fish I added was a 2" Biota Yellow Tang. It has one companion---a juvenile one spot fox face from an LFS.

The Yellow Tang seems to have two tiny white nubs at the edge of its tail fin. Is this something I should quarantine and treat for?

Update: It looks like one white dot on one of its pectoral fins as well. I assume this is potentially ich? If so should I treat both fish?

IMG_3270.jpeg

Appears to be lymphocystis which is a condition and not disease. Often its associated with water quality issue as simple as elevated ammonia or nitrate and can be that of water from LFS and not yours. Assure to provide Good water quality monitored by a reliable test kit and feed nutritious food with fats such as LRS nano frenzy and mysis shrimp as Yellow tang is somewhat thin.
I have another concern - The video shows yellow tang which is breathing at a very high respiration rate and I encourage you to check water quality, mainly ammonia-nitrate-ph and add an air stone for added oxygen
And you dont wait for a fish to stop eating to react as its a sign something is wrong.

OP
OP
S

slingfox

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fish only system? I would not get upset just yet. Keep them eating (lots of nori).
Yes, the only things I have in the tank so far are the Yellow Tang and One Spot Foxface. I also have 2 emerald crabs and a handful of small snails.

I appreciate the help! Will keep feeding the fish.

Last edited:

swervinscoot

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, the only things I have in the tank so far are the Yellow Tang and One Spot Foxface. I also have 2 emerald craps and a handful of small snails.

I appreciate the help! Will keep feeding the fish.
Definitely check your water parameters as stated above as well! Don't add copper to your main system with the inverts in there.

Your welcome, I know the feeling.

OP
OP
S

slingfox

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Appears to be lymphocystis which is a condition and not disease. Often its associated with water quality issue as simple as elevated ammonia or nitrate and can be that of water from LFS and not yours. Assure to provide Good water quality monitored by a reliable test kit and feed nutritious food with fats such as LRS nano frenzy and mysis shrimp as Yellow tang is somewhat thin.
I have another concern - The video shows yellow tang which is breathing at a very high respiration rate and I encourage you to check water quality, mainly ammonia-nitrate-ph and add an air stone for added oxygen
And you dont wait for a fish to stop eating to react as its a sign something is wrong.
Thank you @vetteguy53081 for the quick response and detailed advice. I have two ammonia alert badges sitting in the sump and both are bright yellow which is supposedly safe. I will open up the various Salifert and Hanna test kits I ordered and test everything and report back. I will also proactively do a 10% water change just in case as well.

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Thank you @vetteguy53081 for the quick response and detailed advice. I have two ammonia alert badges sitting in the sump and both are bright yellow which is supposedly safe. I will open up the various Salifert and Hanna test kits I ordered and test everything and report back. I will also proactively do a 10% water change just in case as well.
Yes please do
After about 2 weeks sitting in water, I lose faith in those alert badges

OP
OP
S

slingfox

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes please do
After about 2 weeks sitting in water, I lose faith in those alert badges
@vetteguy53081 Your instincts were spot on. Apparently my water parameters are terrible---most likely due to overfeeding / too much uneaten food in system.

Ammonia: < 0.15
Nitrite: 2
Nitrate: 100

All above from Salifert tests :(

I have only 20 gallons of saltwater in hand but am mixing another 45 gallons so I should be able to do close to a 50% water change in 90 minutes.

I also have a lot to MicroBacter7 left (opened a month and a half ago when I started cycling a gallon of Seachem Matrix in a 5 gallon bucket). Should I pour some of the MicroBacter 7 in or is that a bad idea?

Last edited:
OP
OP
S

slingfox

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Set up two air stones right underneath one of my MP40s to increase oxygenation while waiting for saltwater to mix.

Attachments

• IMG_3272.jpeg
    IMG_3272.jpeg
    141.9 KB · Views: 23

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Set up two air stones right underneath one of my MP40s to increase oxygenation while waiting for saltwater to mix.

Coming into this late - looks like Lymphocystis to me, but both fish in the video are breathing too fast. See if the air stone provides better gas exchange and slows that breathing down. If it doesn't you'll need to update us so we can dive in a bit deeper.

Jay

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
@vetteguy53081 Your instincts were spot on. Apparently my water parameters are terrible---most likely due to overfeeding / too much uneaten food in system.

Ammonia: < 0.15
Nitrite: 2
Nitrate: 100

All above from Salifert tests :(

I have only 20 gallons of saltwater in hand but am mixing another 45 gallons so I should be able to do close to a 50% water change in 90 minutes.

I also have a lot to MicroBacter7 left (opened a month and a half ago when I started cycling a gallon of Seachem Matrix in a 5 gallon bucket). Should I pour some of the MicroBacter 7 in or is that a bad idea?
Bacter 7 will help with denitrification - by all means use it

OP
OP
S

slingfox

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The breathing has slowed down a bit but still looks too fast. I was not able to take a video since I was on calls all morning and my phone apparently can only take photos when that happens. I dumped in 4 fl oz of Fritz TurboStart (not Microbacter7 as accidentally stated in posts above) before I left for work and have the two air stones running underneath an MP40. I also repositioned the two MP40s to sit higher in the tank to increase surface agitation. Upon reflection I wished I moved them even higher.

I will test water parameters later this afternoon and take a video and post it here. I sincerely appreciate the help. Without Reef2Reef and the experts here I would have had no idea what to do!

OP
OP
S

slingfox

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I tested the water this afternoon. Parameters are improving but still don't look great. I will change out more water once I have more saltwater made.

Ammonia < 0.15
Nitrite 0.75 (somewhere between 0.5 and 1.0)
Nitrate 75 (somewhere between 50 and 100)

The Yellow Tang's breathing seems to have improved a bit but I assume both fish would like cleaner water. See video below:

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 100 75.2%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 15 11.3%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 8 6.0%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 3 2.3%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 3 2.3%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

Votes: 2 1.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.5%

Back