smallest possible tank

jared graves

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok I've always loved nano and Pico tanks so I decided I want to start getting some ideas on my own from you guys. I'm thinking a cube for sure. I want a challenge here I'm talking what's the smallest tank + sump possible? I do want a sump of some sort to hide my equipment as the display tank is going to be so small it would take up all the space and just look bad. I am planning on putting an ato because I know something this small will need to be topped of several times a day. So could you guys help me with some ideas? Equipment? Etc.

OP
OP
jared graves

jared graves

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh and I forgot to mention the only stocking will be a peppermint shrimp, hermit or two, and a couple snails

OP
OP
jared graves

jared graves

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What I really need help on is what is the best equipment for this type of build? I want a light to grow zoas that's all

OP
OP
jared graves

jared graves

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What I would really like is something like a 3 gallon cube with a 5 gallon sump I think that would be awesome!

Dtackett

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
had a guy run one of those plastic 1 gallon betta tanks from petsmart, drilled the bottom and ran it into a second 1 gallon tank. used a 12V water pump for the return and a second 12V water pump for circulation. hydor smart level ato with a 5 gallon bucket with the "sump" sitting on top of the bucket to save room. had 2 t10 5 chip leds for the light source. was really a "hey wanna bet this will work" setup but it worked great. also know another guy whos got 5 5 gallon tanks all plumbed into a 20 gallon sump. you cant see anything but the 5 tanks positioned in a bow. its pretty sweet. but that dudes 1 gallon is just crazy. 1 big rock completely covered in rastas.

Dtackett

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
one of my buddies has 2 of his long tanks (I think 12 gallon) he loves them. says very high quality.

dan987

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMHO, the bigger the sump, the better. If you can put a 20g sump under it, why not? That will make everything so much less painful and more enjoyable.

OP
OP
jared graves

jared graves

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMHO, the bigger the sump, the better. If you can put a 20g sump under it, why not? That will make everything so much less painful and more enjoyable.
It's just the challenge of it honestly I know it would be easier but the challenge is very attractive to me

Dtackett

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
yeah, 1 gallon. hes got a decent amount of maintenance he does daily. he only added the ahe set it up because he got tired of topping off so often lol. but with that tank being so small he checks salinity twice a day, water change every other day. but considering its just zoas its not so bad. takes him about 5 minutes a day.

Ahruk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You should google vase reef tanks if you're looking for a real challenge. Those things are unbelievable. They're also featured in this quarters editions of Reef Hobbyist Magazine.

OP
OP
jared graves

jared graves

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You should google vase reef tanks if you're looking for a real challenge. Those things are unbelievable. They're also featured in this quarters editions of Reef Hobbyist Magazine.
That sounds like something I need to check out.....

Ahruk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
here's a video of one :) Honestly am just amazed by it and want to see more of them :p

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That bowl is by my friend Maritza the vase reef and the work is stellar. Those sps in there make me jealous.

vase reef vs any other tank:

a vase reef beats any sized reef tank there is for salinity stability... How does going a week without topoff sound compared to typical tanks (does not use ato, uses special lid sealing)

the animals you listed are perfect for it, fish aren't.

To make a vase reef live 10+ yrs you simply feed it once a week and do a 100% wc about an hour later, every week.

These are the lowest price most stable pico reef that will grow sps without fail, they are tall enough to house and hide full heaters so temp stability is accounted for there as well

Last edited:
Back