How to store a sump long term

casscoker

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am going to move to another country for 18 months and won’t have my aquarium up and running. I want to sell everything and just store my sump with some other equipment. How do you store a sump without the silicone rotting out? Any ideas?

Readywriter

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ive stored tanks in low quality sheds with no consideration for preserving anything and they were absolutely fine years later. So I would think if you put it in a somewhat climate controlled storage youd be golden. And I would also think that anything you could put on the silicone to protect it would give you a huge headache later on. But heres a bump lets see what others think.

Gregg @ ADP

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If your silicone rots out after not having water in for 18 months, your sump was going to fall apart anyway.

I’ve stored tanks for years with no issues. Just keep temp stable and obviously not super hot or cold.

Lbrdsoxfan

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If your silicone rots out after not having water in for 18 months, your sump was going to fall apart anyway.

I’ve stored tanks for years with no issues. Just keep temp stable and obviously not super hot or cold.
This.

My current sump on my 120g has been dry more than wet and it started life as a 25g display with a single baffle (recently installed) for the pump chamber, the tank dates prolly to 2005 or so.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 7.1%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 23 14.9%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 88 57.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 11 7.1%
Back