Smart powerstrip as a controller alternative

Gaspipe

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi and thanks for taking time out to look at this post. I'm looking to buy a waterbox mini peninsula 25 and as much as I love gadgets I really can't justify to myself spending a whole lot for a controller. I was even considering the EK Lite but it's still $400 and I will def start buying more options if I did go this route.

I was considering this smart plug from amazon: Kasa Smart (HS300) or perhaps Kill A Watt PS-10. Both similar priced but the Kasa has wifi/app options. Is there something I am missing or an updated product?

Thanks in adavnce!
Gaspare

Last edited:

namfuak

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm not sure about other options, but I have the Kasa HS300 and it's incredibly handy. I can create independent schedules for any of the outlets, on/off control both through the app and the physical button on the power strip. You also don't actually have to be connected to your WiFi to change these settings or turn outlets on and off.

The only thing that I don't like is that the physical main power switch is on the back side of the power strip.

OP
OP
Gaspipe

Gaspipe

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well I am glad you are having a good experience with this. Thank you for the quick reply!
I'm not sure about other options, but I have the Kasa HS300 and it's incredibly handy. I can create independent schedules for any of the outlets, on/off control both through the app and the physical button on the power strip. You also don't actually have to be connected to your WiFi to change these settings or turn outlets on and off.

The only thing that I don't like is that the physical main power switch is on the back side of the power strip.

Fishyj

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What are you looking to control? If your doing a temperature and ato you might want to consider a hydros control 2.

SMSREEF

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi and thanks for taking time out to look at this post. I'm looking to buy a waterbox mini peninsula 25 and as much as I love gadgets I really can't justify to myself spending a whole lot for a controller. I was even considering the EK Lite but it's still $400 and I will def start buying more options if I did go this route.

I was considering this smart plug from amazon: Kasa Smart (HS300) or perhaps Kill A Watt PS-10. Both similar priced but the Kasa has wifi/app options. Is there something I am missing or an updated product?

Thanks in adavnce!
Gaspare
Hi Gaspare,
I use these as a controller on my tanks. I’ve had them for about a year. (I bought during Black Friday when they were on a great sale)
On the 10 gallon, I use it for my return pump, powerhead, doser to replace RODI that evaporates, doser for All for reef.

On My 60 gallon I have my doser for all for reef, refugium light, 2 wavemakers, light for under stand. Return Pump and ATO plugged into a splitter so when I turn return pump off the ATO doesn’t beep like crazy.

I don’t have any complaints.

A controller comes in handy if you want alerts or want to track certain parameters like pH, orp and temp. I’m gonna get one likely in the future but I’m just not there yet.

GaryE

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The kill-a-watt will only monitor, no control.

The kaza strips and outlets work great. I'm using them all over my house, not just on my tanks.

I monitor temperature with a raspberry pi running reef-pi and turn the heaters on and off via kaza power outlets.

Also control 3 led light strips with them thru the kaza app.

OP
OP
Gaspipe

Gaspipe

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the reply, I never looked into it but will today. To be honest what I really want to do is have an ATO, and AWC system. Would like to incorporate a gravity fed if the WB MP25 allows a float switch in the back chamber. I know AutoAqua had a AWC+ATO combo but seems to be sold out, and due to the poor reviews wonder if it's pulled from the shelves.

My biggest regret will be having 5 different systems/apps and spending pretty dam close to just buying a controller from the beginning. If I can do a simple "feed mode" via a wifi powerstrip. I'm sure after a year of testing and doing things manual a system that monitors that would be great.

What are you looking to control? If your doing a temperature and ato you might want to consider a hydros control 2.

OP
OP
Gaspipe

Gaspipe

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Gaspare,
I use these as a controller on my tanks. I’ve had them for about a year. (I bought during Black Friday when they were on a great sale)
On the 10 gallon, I use it for my return pump, powerhead, doser to replace RODI that evaporates, doser for All for reef.

On My 60 gallon I have my doser for all for reef, refugium light, 2 wavemakers, light for under stand. Return Pump and ATO plugged into a splitter so when I turn return pump off the ATO doesn’t beep like crazy.

I don’t have any complaints.

A controller comes in handy if you want alerts or want to track certain parameters like pH, orp and temp. I’m gonna get one likely in the future but I’m just not there yet.
Could 3 dosers be set up as AWC and ATO? Not sure if this makes financial sense for someone who needs to buy 3 dosers. Perhaps there is a more viable option.

OP
OP
Gaspipe

Gaspipe

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the information... now I may end up building my first Pi lol.
The kill-a-watt will only monitor, no control.

The kaza strips and outlets work great. I'm using them all over my house, not just on my tanks.

I monitor temperature with a raspberry pi running reef-pi and turn the heaters on and off via kaza power outlets.

Also control 3 led light strips with them thru the kaza app.

SMSREEF

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Could 3 dosers be set up as AWC and ATO? Not sure if this makes financial sense for someone who needs to buy 3 dosers. Perhaps there is a more viable option.
I already had the BRS dosers and used a regular manual timers with them (what a PITA). So the Kasa was a major upgrade without much expense.
With that said, I do like my tunze 3155 ATO and like the fact it is independent (not reliant on wifi or a controller).

It does sound like you are going to do more automation than what I do currently, so going for the controller may be a great idea.

I bet there are gonna be great deals that can’t be beat coming up Black Friday and Cyber Monday.

JGT

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the information... now I may end up building my first Pi lol.
Why not use the Kasa to setup a awc schedule. Something like:
Step 1 turn off return pump
Step 2 turn on pump in sump to drain old water
Step 3 turn on pump in s water container to fill sump
Step 4 turn return pump back on

steps 2 and 3 could be controlled with optical eyes/float valves.

LeftyReefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I really wish the USB plugs on the Kasa smart strips were also smart/controllable... That is the one advantage that the APC smart strips have over the Kasa strips but the Kasa app is better than the APC app.

Right now I have to use a mix of APC and Kasa smart strips... wish I could do everything with just the Kasa strips.

ReeferWarrant

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My automation setup which seems to be doing well for me

Power Strip

WiFi Smart Plug

Dosing Pump

Thermostat

ATO

I have the main aquarium pump on a wifi plug, my skimmer on a plug as well with a schedule. The Inkbird set to Celsius to reduce the temperature variance.

Back