smelly tank help!

Ruzoko

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Been having an all-out war with this 40 gallon for a while, had a massive hair algae bloom, and finally have it almost completely gone but the tank has an off-stink smell that doesn't seem to go away. Any remedy for this? Upped water change to 10-15 gallons every 3-4, swapping filter socks every 2 days since they turn brown and smell rank, and have Grape Caulerpa running 24/7 in fuge but even that has a rank smell. Pulled half of that out today with a water change, dt also has either a brown algae bloom still trying to grow or diatoms now on the sand. Bit late so ill post the parameters of tank tomorrow as well for further advice if nitrate/phosphate are high.

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Been having an all-out war with this 40 gallon for a while, had a massive hair algae bloom, and finally have it almost completely gone but the tank has an off-stink smell that doesn't seem to go away. Any remedy for this? Upped water change to 10-15 gallons every 3-4, swapping filter socks every 2 days since they turn brown and smell rank, and have Grape Caulerpa running 24/7 in fuge but even that has a rank smell. Pulled half of that out today with a water change, dt also has either a brown algae bloom still trying to grow or diatoms now on the sand. Bit late so ill post the parameters of tank tomorrow as well for further advice if nitrate/phosphate are high.
Bag of carbon should help. Can put it inside the sock or between baffles. Probably the dying algae or even just algae in general can be smelly.

OP
OP
Ruzoko

Ruzoko

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bag of carbon should help. Can put it inside the sock or between baffles. Probably the dying algae or even just algae in general can be smelly.
have some chemipure elite in there too, should i just toss a bag of plain carbon as well?

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
kk ill try that out, thx! never again am i allowing a single rock with hair algae in my tank @.@

lol there is no keeping hair algae spores out if you add anything wet. I would wager to say you could probably grow it from spores in the air even with dry rock and light. Even new tanks set up with all dry stuff and artificial sea water can grow hair algae.

OP
OP
Ruzoko

Ruzoko

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
lol there is no keeping hair algae spores out if you add anything wet. I would wager to say you could probably grow it from spores in the air even with dry rock and light. Even new tanks set up with all dry stuff and artificial sea water can grow hair algae.
ooof figures xD my 125 thankfully is doing great, but the sump has grape algae + caulerpa growing well. I question the sump in this 40 currently, I am lighting it with a chaetomax but not sure if im seeing much growth

Mywifeisgunnakillme

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Feel your pain, lol.

This with carbon reactor and you'll be stinkless.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 36 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 24.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.3%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back