Smirky's Reefer 450

Mirkus

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd like to share my newish Reefer 450 tank that was setup in December. Prior to the reefer I had a 93 gallon cube (blackfriday's 93g), that worked great until I just couldn't trust it anymore.

So here we are. I put together a quick video clip in desperate need of white balancing, but I'll work on improving videos and photos later. I plan to update periodically with videos and photos of increasing quality ( cough, cough). I'm hoping the tank actually looks a little better too.

Here's a quick equipment rundown...

Ati Sunpower 54 watt * 6 ( 3 b+, 2 coral+, 1 purple+) with blue reefbrite
Jebao dct 8000?
Aquamax co2
Apex (dos x2)
Tunze top-off
Gyre 150
Eco tech mp40
Eheim auto feeder

mmw64

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd like to share my newish Reefer 450 tank that was setup in December. Prior to the reefer I had a 93 gallon cube (blackfriday's 93g), that worked great until I just couldn't trust it anymore.

So here we are. I put together a quick video clip in desperate need of white balancing, but I'll work on improving videos and photos later. I plan to update periodically with videos and photos of increasing quality ( cough, cough). I'm hoping the tank actually looks a little better too.

Here's a quick equipment rundown...

Ati Sunpower 54 watt * 6 ( 3 b+, 2 coral+, 1 purple+) with blue reefbrite
Jebao dct 8000?
Aquamax co2
Apex (dos x2)
Tunze top-off
Gyre 150
Eco tech mp40
Eheim auto feeder

My 350 at 1 year doesn't compare. Beautiful!

OP
OP
Mirkus

Mirkus

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the complements fellas.

I've made a few changes since the video. I did some serious pruning on the spongodes and blue digitata. Then I removed as much of the Idaho grape on rt side as I could then put putty down. I also used more putty to reclaim some space from encrusting monti. Finally, I added new corals from a local reefer a Hawkins, paletta pink tip, garf bonsai, Cali tort, and what is supposed to be a blue matrix (obviously, I'm not sure it is).

I keep saying I don't have room for more coral but I keep finding it :). I should probably stop adding because I would be really hurt if I picked up a bad pest.

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Looks great!

OP
OP
Mirkus

Mirkus

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks great!

Thanks, I think the tank is coming along. It's still a pretty new tank. Color is better than pics and videos show, but there is definitely room for improvement.

After playing Russian roulette for years, I am thinking that I should buy some kind of battery backup. I have an mp40 and gyre. The gyre requires a controller that I don't want to buy and my mp40 is a little low in the tank for surface agitation. I also have another mp40, but I have to admit I like that I can blast a stream above the coral with gyre. Does anyone have any experience with generic battery backups? I saw that Costco had one for around $100.

OP
OP
Mirkus

Mirkus

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks, I think the tank is coming along. It's still a pretty new tank. Color is better than pics and videos show, but there is definitely room for improvement.

After playing Russian roulette for years, I am thinking that I should buy some kind of battery backup. I have an mp40 and gyre. The gyre requires a controller that I don't want to buy and my mp40 is a little low in the tank for surface agitation. I also have another mp40, but I have to admit I like that I can blast a stream above the coral with gyre. Does anyone have any experience with generic battery backups? I saw that Costco had one for around $100.

Okay feeling real dumb... You don't need the gyre controller to use battery backup. I guess I get the icecap backup.

OP
OP
Mirkus

Mirkus

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A little bit after performing a water change on Monday night I noticed the water was cloudy. I was wondering what the heck is going then. Did I mess something up? It wouldn't be the first time. I then notice two urchins involved in some questionable behavior. Halloween urchin vs blue tuxedo.

OP
OP
Mirkus

Mirkus

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sad news to report an urchin died. My urchins have been bulletproof workhorses for years and have survived several tank moves.

On another note, while taking some super quick footage for my 6 month update. I'm really leaning towards getting rid of the massive spongodes. The thing is huge and I really would like to fill the space with something else. Anyone want a 12 inch by 8 inch spongodes colony? It's probably bigger than that too.

OP
OP
Mirkus

Mirkus

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Shipment arrived today from battle corals. Now hopefully I can color these up.

Sky doppell
Insane defuego
Aqua-Venus (freebie)
Thermans rainbow
Bc xmas
Marm-u-lade
Rainbows army
June ruby

Jonathan blackwood

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sad news to report an urchin died. My urchins have been bulletproof workhorses for years and have survived several tank moves.

On another note, while taking some super quick footage for my 6 month update. I'm really leaning towards getting rid of the massive spongodes. The thing is huge and I really would like to fill the space with something else. Anyone want a 12 inch by 8 inch spongodes colony? It's probably bigger than that too.
Yes I'd like it lol please and thank you

Back