OP
Smite

Smite

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi deaclauderdale, and thank you. Naw, I'd probably not dose extra PO4. Unless, maybe, PO4 was about to bottom and nitrates were still pretty high. Otherwise, when nutrients get really low, I'd just do what the fish and corals would probably want me to do--feed more haha.

Yes, I think a half dose is fine, especially if you're doing it daily. It's well established that Rhodopseudomonas palustris is actively taken up by corals and incorporated into their bodies (much like zooxanthellae) where they feed off of exudates secreted by the coral and zooxanthellae. In fact, the lower the nitrogen availability for the zooxanthellae, the more of these bacteria these coral will host. https://www.hydrospace.store/post/d...mportant-article-you-ll-ever-read-about-coral Anyway, we're admittedly guessing here--extrapolating from coral-PNSB interactions in nature--but based on reports from users, we believe that a half dose (which many of our users now refer to as a "maintenance dose") is adequate for supporting this probiotic effect.

On the other hand, there's no risk of overdose. The "maximum daily dose" provided on the bottle, or even more, could be applied as a food. Also like zooxanthellae, corals consume these bacteria as a food. These bacteria in fact extremely nutritious, as they are rich in protein, B vitamins, certain fatty acids and carotenoids such as lycopene and astaxanthin. My point is that they are an excellent natural live food and so any excess you put in your tank will not go to waste. To the contrary, feeding or even overfeeding these bacteria is more likely to result in cleaner tank than a dirtier one.

Again, thanks.
I feel like I heard about a culture starter kit you were offering for PNS but can't find where to buy it? Is that something you are currently offering?

Thanks!

VanDalsenReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I feel like I heard about a culture starter kit you were offering for PNS but can't find where to buy it? Is that something you are currently offering?

Thanks!
Go to their website Hydrospace. They sell it there. I didn't know other places sell pns (algae barn)

OP
OP
Smite

Smite

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My Quanta OG Pop bars show up Wednesday. I took a few all blue shots under the kessils. I just feel like something is lacking compared to what I used to get with my XHO. Granted these are the A360WE, so not a lot of control over blue spectrum.

I'll take some comparison pictures once my bars are mounted.
Tong's Frags (LFS)
Tongs Summerset BLUE K.jpg
TongsBangryIrd Blue K.jpg
TongsRedemption BLUE K.jpg
TongsWild1 Blue K.jpg

WD
WD Blue K.jpg

Vivid's 4 Loko
4LokoBlueK.jpg

BC Aquaticman
AquaticmanBlueK.jpg

Cherry bomb
CherryBombBlueK.jpg

HyperBerry
HyperBerryBluek.jpg

Longer term grow out from mariculture frag form Tong's
PinkStinkBlueK.jpg

Kenneth Wingerter

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Go to their website Hydrospace. They sell it there. I didn't know other places sell pns (algae barn)
Here's an example from a pic a customer sent us yesterday.
Chris Spalding.jpg

OP
OP
Smite

Smite

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My QuantaPro OG Pops came in. I mocked them up and they are very nice fixtures. A strong blue and the output is very bright. The spread crosses my 22" power module no problem and the two bars cover my 50x38" footprint completely.

All blue filtered through orange you cant really see the difference but it's very noticeable in person.

I've started my corrections for RM. My last test results were looking very good compared to previous tests. Not huge corrections like before. I can see some pieces are starting to recover and "wake up" from being dormant

4 loko still needs color but looks happy and is encrusting.
4loko.jpg

Hyperberry's polyps are unreal day and night. I really like this piece
hyper berry-3.jpg

This pink piece is gaining color by the day. Once new growth takes off the tips reflect a nice blue and gives a blue on hot pink under blue LED
Pink.jpg
Pink2.jpg

Vivid's rainbow delight. Still not colorful under day lighting but I can see it coming up under LED
Rainbow Delight.jpg

RMF Candyland starting to encrust. More than it's done in a long time
RR candyland.jpg

RRU millepora, colors back now I just gotta get those polyps to come out. This one has also been locked up for some time now.
RRURB.jpg

SCOP and Cherry bomb are troopers and never missed a beat
SCOP-5.jpg
TGC Cherry Bomb-3.jpg

Give this a couple years and it'll be nice :) looks happy currently but soo small it'll be a while..
Tong's rainbow.jpg

Love the yellows and polyps on this one
Tong's Toxicity .jpg

Vivid's Insanity; horrible picture just want to be able to document growth for myself
VINSanity.jpg

OP
OP
Smite

Smite

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well I added tandom Jebao 55w UV sterilizers to my sump and the great news is my dinos are gone. I actually unplugged them 2 days ago and forgot to plug them in (was lazy and just manual plugging them in and out isntead of programming a apex outlet) and they haven't returned.

I noticed a few of my corals getting very pale even with nutrients in check; po4 .1 and no3 10-15ppm. I ran carbon while running the UV for dinos, but maybe not enough? No parameter swings I can test for and my fear is it was some type of contaminant again. I have an ICP in the mail so we will see on that front. I added a few new frags recently so I was inspecting closely around the irritated corals and noticed was looked like white hair, just about in all the shaded areas of my tank. They look to be branching hydroids from what I can tell.

I was recommended reef delete, which I may try if I can find a rental nearby, but would like to hear any other experiences dealing with these pests? Or if they were even problematic at all?

OP
OP
Smite

Smite

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Had a issue recently where my dosing line got clogged and blew the tubing off the line where it meets the sump. It was just pumping alk behind the sump for a few days I believe. I saw my alk was lowering and assume it was increase in uptake until I found the pool of alk. Parameter dropped from 9.3-9.6 to 6-6.5 dkh over a few days. So far most everything looks okay but I have lost some coloration in some pieces. I've steadied it now at 7 dkh so hopefully nothing goes too sideways.

Might as well get some pictures incase it does!
All lights a GO: QuantaPro OG Pop/B+/G.14k/G.AB/G.Tropic65k/B+ and reverse for 10x54w-AKA Blanket O' Light!
BlanketOlight.jpg

Bengaii with a CSB BTA/Acro backdrop
CSB Bengaii.jpg

Hyperberry
Hyperberry.jpg

Vivid's Insanity
Vivids Insanity.jpg

ASD Doomsday
Doomsday.jpg

RRC Golden Rod. Has some cool swirls, pink polyps and nice yellow coloration overall
RRCGoldenRod.jpg

Silly String Acro
Silly String Good.jpg

Beach Bum Monitpora
beachbum.jpg

OP
OP
Smite

Smite

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
FTS update:
MAS_6398.jpg

Side Shot:
MAS_6402.jpg

Just trying to be patient and wait for things to settle. I've been removing small portions of sand with water changes lately. Calcium reactor is back up. I found wierd black sludge in my algae reactor so I've pulled it. I'm dosing Brightwell's Biofuel to try and help with nutrient control. I'm dosing 10ml daily and my nutrients are holding around 10-15ppm nitrates/.03 phosphates. I'll be upping my ml to 15 this week and keeping a close eye on po4.

Overall the tank is starting to look better and I'm seeing some improvements under blue lighting. Daylight colors aren't what the last system had but it's looking like it'll get there with time now.

Some blue shots:
TGC Cherry Bomb Tenuis
MAS_6330.jpg
MAS_6342.jpg

RR Firecracker
MAS_6352.jpg

Vivid's Insanity gaining hints of color
MAS_6339.jpg

Silly String acro, nice polyps on this guy. Good color too. It's above my JF Raunchy bounce shroom colony
MAS_6369.jpg
Wild piece From Tongs'
MAS_6393.jpg

mfollen

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just catching up on this thread, awesome journey - thank you for sharing.

Absolutely beautiful tank and livestock.
Im getting a CDA soon, similar specs as yours. Thanks for some inspiration.

Are those clowns wild true percs? They really stand out.

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Absolutely beautiful photos!!

OP
OP
Smite

Smite

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just catching up on this thread, awesome journey - thank you for sharing.

Absolutely beautiful tank and livestock.
Im getting a CDA soon, similar specs as yours. Thanks for some inspiration.

Are those clowns wild true percs? They really stand out.
Congrats, you'll be stoked on the tank. They are beasts with all the double bracing ect.

I got these clowns from a local breeder who had a pair of C-Quest lineage onyx percula he bred. The majority looked like the female I have, the male had a different pattern to him and he did have a few different clutches in one tank so I'm not 100% sure he is c quest or not. I've heard stings from carpet anemones can help darken percula up, not sure if that's true but these guys blacks are looking really good now.

I'll keep an eye out for your build, or post a link here so I can follow along.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 46 16.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 18 6.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 35 12.6%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 159 57.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 6.8%
Back