Snail eggs?

TheLandShark

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Am I getting ready to have a bunch of baby snail? 4 days ago my tank turned cloudy in the evening untill about 4am
Now today I find these right by a snail.
Kill them or keep them?

IMG_9346.jpeg IMG_9344.jpeg

ISpeakForTheSeas

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Am I getting ready to have a bunch of baby snail?
Definitely snail eggs (looks like Cerith eggs), but I wouldn't expect any to survive.

Most snails we keep hatch as planktonic larvae that get eaten, removed by skimmers/filters/etc., killed by powerheads, etc. - it's very rare that planktonic larvae survive in our tanks.

You can keep the eggs and let them hatch - it won't your tank at all - or you can remove them. Both ways are fine.

OP
OP
TheLandShark

TheLandShark

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Definitely snail eggs (looks like Cerith eggs), but I wouldn't expect any to survive.

Most snails we keep hatch as planktonic larvae that get eaten, removed by skimmers/filters/etc., killed by powerheads, etc. - it's very rare that planktonic larvae survive in our tanks.

You can keep the eggs and let them hatch - it won't your tank at all - or you can remove them. Both ways are fine.
Let’s say I wanted to try and let them hatch and grow, would I put them in a small quarantine tank? (With out the chemicals etc). Or just leave em be for fish food?
Thank you for your knowledge.

ISpeakForTheSeas

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Let’s say I wanted to try and let them hatch and grow, would I put them in a small quarantine tank? (With out the chemicals etc). Or just leave em be for fish food?
Thank you for your knowledge.
A brief rundown on what it would take to try and rear them to help you decide (Edit: to add, it is much more difficult than it sounds, and would likely require culturing phytoplankton):
A quick summary:

-Setup a little, simple tank.
(The larval rearing tank).

-Add the larvae.

-Add the larval food and enough phytoplankton to tint the water green.
(The phytoplankton helps dim the lighting so it's not too bright for sensitive larvae, it makes it easier for the larvae to see the feeders, and it gut-loads the feeders so they're more nutritious when eaten).

-Adjust feeding as needed as the larvae grow; you typically should start feeding regular fish food in addition to the larval food around settlement.
The larval rearing tank sounds daunting, but is basically just a small QT tank like you said:
Anyway, for a simple larval rearing tank, all you need is:

-A small tank filled with saltwater (kreisel tanks are ideal, but not necessary)

-An airline/air stone/gentle sponge filter (for flow/oxygenation)

Depending on individual circumstances, you may also need:

-A heater (or chiller, though these would rarely be needed for anything other than temperate/coldwater species; these should be sectioned off from the larvae - such as with a 40 micron or smaller mesh - to prevent injuries to the larvae and to keep the feeders where the larvae can get to them)

-Light(s)*
For an example of a simple larval rearing setup:

How much do you care about having a display FREE of wires, pumps and equipment?

• Want it squeaky clean! Wires be danged!

Votes: 76 44.4%
  • A few things are ok with me!

Votes: 79 46.2%
  • No care at all! Bring it on!

Votes: 16 9.4%
Back