Snail ID and question about change in shell appearance

kblazewicz

New Member
View Badges
Joined
Oct 13, 2020
Messages
14
Reaction score
1
Location
Warsaw, Poland
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,

I got this snail with the tank some 14 months ago, but haven't found out its species yet. I've got curious because I've noticed its new shell growth has changed its appearance quite dramatically some time ago. I haven't seen it before because this snail is strictly nocturnal and hides somewhere deep in the rocks during the day.

I'd guess that new growth is healthier and I'd assume its because either:
a) Water parameters got better. Previous owner didn't care about parameters and this tank has alkalinity of 5 dKH, I maintain ~7.​
b) I have more algae for him to eat. I'm dealing with green hair algae a lot.​
c) There is less competition for food in the tank. Since I've got this tank I've lost multiple snails, at least 2 of the same species, 2 Astrea, 2 Trochus and probably some more that I haven't noticed. I've also lost Emerald Crab that I've added few months ago, it died after 2-3 months.​

Do you think the change is related to other snail's deaths?

I attach my latest ICP test result.

snail.jpg
 

Attachments

Looks like astrea snail with shell overgrowth
Seeing bottom of snail may make it more identifiable
 
Looks like astrea snail with shell overgrowth
Seeing bottom of snail may make it more identifiable

Hi! I believe I had Astrea snails and they looked and behaved very differently than this one. Their shells where conical and they were definitely not nocturnal I could see them go around the tank 24/7. They looked exactly as on the photo below and my LFS sells them as Astrea.

Zrzut ekranu 2022-01-11 o 16.52.08.png

I also had Trochus which looked like this:

Zrzut ekranu 2022-01-11 o 16.53.28.png
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT DOES YOUR REEFING AREA LOOK LIKE BETWEEN MAINTENANCE SESSIONS?

  • Clean and tidy—everything gets put away

    Votes: 6 46.2%
  • Mostly cleaned up, but a few tools stay out

    Votes: 2 15.4%
  • Organized chaos—I know where everything is

    Votes: 3 23.1%
  • Enter at your own risk! Buckets, hoses, and towels are basically permanent fixtures

    Votes: 1 7.7%
  • It depends on where I am in the maintenance cycle...

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • The tsunami hit. Hard.

    Votes: 1 7.7%
  • A different take... (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new