Snail identification

RobertFPalmer

New Member
View Badges
Joined
May 10, 2020
Messages
6
Reaction score
3
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like this is attached to one of my snails I don't know what it is, looks like a horn sticking out on top.I seem to be losing a lot of snails I do see lots of empty shells.

20201220_222829.jpg 20201220_222806.jpg
 
looks like a whelk. if it is, it's a predator/scavenger. they get confused for nassarius because they resemble them and burrow under the sand. it will kill all your snails eventually if you don't catch it.

did you add any nassarius recently? if so, it was probably mixed in with them. catch it and put it in your sump.
 
looks like a whelk. if it is, it's a predator/scavenger. they get confused for nassarius because they resemble them and burrow under the sand. it will kill all your snails eventually if you don't catch it.

did you add any nassarius recently? if so, it was probably mixed in with them. catch it and put it in your sump.
Yeah I took it out when I took the photos untill I heard from the experts. Thanks for the identification and no I did not add any nassarius recently it's been 3 months I have two Banded Trochus Snails that breed, I've had them for one and half years. I didn't catch it but I think he's been killing for a while have a lot of empty shells.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE LOUDEST PART OF YOUR REEF SYSTEM?

  • Return pump

    Votes: 8 5.1%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 11 7.0%
  • Protein skimmer

    Votes: 27 17.1%
  • Overflow or drain

    Votes: 55 34.8%
  • Sump vibration or plumbing

    Votes: 2 1.3%
  • Cooling fans

    Votes: 11 7.0%
  • Dosing, ATO, or other equipment

    Votes: 10 6.3%
  • Nothing. My reef is surprisingly quiet

    Votes: 24 15.2%
  • Other (Tell us what makes the noise)

    Votes: 10 6.3%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new