Snail or clam?

CloudReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all, I found this slowly meandering around my tank after the lights went off. At first I thought it was a snail of some kind, but when I removed it and got some pics it almost looks like a clam. It was moving around almost like a conch, step by step, vs just creeping around like snails do. I know clams can move but this would be well outside what I would have expected.

It's about 3mm long and has a hard shell.

Any ID help is appreciated! I'm keeping this guy out of my tank for now until I know for sure what it is.

PXL_20230811_052510964.jpg PXL_20230811_052618135.jpg PXL_20230811_052657444.jpg

Townes_Van_Camp

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking at the growth pattern, definitely looks like a clam.

id put it back
It's walking around his tank lol. I thought the same thing based on the shell. Then re-read the OP and he said its moving like a conch. Could be a scallop of some sort? They boogie around, but it's not smooth locomotion.

OP
OP
C

CloudReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's a lot like a conch. It takes a single lumbering step, pauses, then takes another.

It is not on a half shell. It's definitely two sides of a shell.

I mostly worry about snail hitchhikers and that's why I pulled it out as I thought it was a snail.

Townes_Van_Camp

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's a lot like a conch. It takes a single lumbering step, pauses, then takes another.

It is not on a half shell. It's definitely two sides of a shell.

I mostly worry about snail hitchhikers and that's why I pulled it out as I thought it was a snail.
sounds like a scallop. They move using a water jet of sorts. At 3 mm, it would be hard to see the shell open and close as it pumps water. I've never seen a clam move, I know they do. I suspect just like a scallop would or similar. Put it back in your tank.

Last edited:
OP
OP
C

CloudReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
sounds like a scallop. They move using a water get. At 3 mm, it would be hard to see the shell open and close as it pumps water. Ive never seen a clam move, I know they do. I suspect just like a scallop would or similar. Put it back in your tank.
I don't think so, because when it was moving around the tank it was definitely attached to the rock and not propulsion. And it was attached where it looks like there might be a byssus foot in the pics, so it was oriented vertically as it moved.

Yep putting it back now.

TangerineSpeedo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Clams and mussells all have a foot. Clams use it for locomotion and to bury themselves or even to bore holes in rocks. Mussels primarily use there foot when they are spat but can use they foot also when they are mature to position themselves.
It looks like you have a clam.

OP
OP
C

CloudReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I dose phyto and oyster feast every day.

I got a video of it burrowing into the sand! I caught it after it was mostly buried but you can still see it a bit here.

Attachments

• PXL_20230811_060810638.mp4
    19.8 MB

bluemon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I dose phyto and oyster feast every day.

I got a video of it burrowing into the sand! I caught it after it was mostly buried but you can still see it a bit here.
Definitely looks like a clam burrowing!

Yea the clam will love it in there with phyto and oyster feast.

TangerineSpeedo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They don't need it to survive really.

I've had a hitchhiker mussel (or oyster. But probably a mussel) that grew from nothing to the size of a mussel you would find in a frutti de Mar.

Never dosed phyto.
Yours maybe the exception and not the rule. They are filter feeders, so while you did not dose Phyto, you must have some sort of nutrients it can process. Most have a hard time keeping bivalves for more than a year, because as the bivalve grows so does it nutritional needs.
I bet you probable have good polyp extension on your corals.

bluemon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yours maybe the exception and not the rule. They are filter feeders, so while you did not dose Phyto, you must have some sort of nutrients it can process. Most have a hard time keeping bivalves for more than a year, because as the bivalve grows so does it nutritional needs.
I bet you probable have good polyp extension on your corals.

yea probably true. Helps that the system is very old at 10 years. Polyp extensions aren’t too bad, and I am having a go at a carnation coral (i know, it was a reckless purchase) that has been going strong a month now without any additional feeding. I might put up a thread with some pictures on the carnation if it’s still doing well at the 3+ month mark

Building with glass and silicone: Have you ever built a tank or had a custom tank built?

• I have built an aquarium.

Votes: 9 12.0%
  • I have had a custom tank built.

Votes: 16 21.3%
  • I have never built a tank or had a custom tank built.

Votes: 46 61.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 5.3%
Back