Sniffing the Reef glue

Treefer32

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
O.k. I don't sniff the reef glue! However, I have a silly question, I can't be the first that encountered this. How do people keep their guerilla gel glue over time?

I have 5 bottles that I found yesterday. Stored upright on a shelf. They all had been used / opened at some point. The oldest is no more than 3-4 months old. 1 bottle was from BRS (almost full) and the others were all from Menards or amazon in various states of use.

I don't care what I do with the bottle, it plugs up, and then the glue in the cap dries, and then the glue in the bottle dries. I have $30 worth of glue that's worthless. Do you buy a new bottle everytime you plan on fragging something?

It's really annoying. Or is there a different glue / bottle combination that doesn't dry up or cause problems dispensing. I've gone so far as to drill out the cap so I can dispense the glue, but, that's really annoying as well. If there's an after market air tight / dispensing cap or something that could be used to keep the glue from one use to another That'd be worth it to me. I don't frag every day and when I do I don't go through much of the glue.

It's something so simple and silly. I hate having to buy another bottle of glue everytime I need to glue something down. . Knowing it's only going to become unusuable in a week or two.

Wallace11

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I agree that this is extremely annoying. I always had this problem until I started using the BRS Extra Thick Gel Super Glue. I've had a 10 oz bottle for over a year now that is still fine. I've gone through several caps, but the stuff in the bottle is fine. I did just see that BRS suggests you can clean the cap with acetone to remove excess glue. I'm not sure if I've been lucky or if others have also had better luck with one product over another.

OP
OP
Treefer32

Treefer32

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I cannot speak to the success of this but an obscure google search yielded this blog post. Who knows how old it is or whether there's any validity to it... Storing in a zip lock or some other airtight bag supposedly could work?

Here's the link

Derrick0580

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I buy my glue from the dollar store so when I open a tube I just throw whatever is left away.
Not the answer to the original question but it’s what I do for frag glue.
This is what I do! Go in the store and clean out their stock, get weird looks when I check out!

homer1475

Figuring out the hobby one coral at a time.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is what I do! Go in the store and clean out their stock, get weird looks when I check out!
Whats even weirder, Walmart ID's for super glue. I'm a near 50 year old man that needs to get ID'ed for 5 bottle of super glue. lol

Gtinnel

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Whats even weirder, Walmart ID's for super glue. I'm a near 50 year old man that needs to get ID'ed for 5 bottle of super glue. lol
When I was making my aqua scape I bought well over a hundred of the little tubes from Harbor Freight and they didn’t ask for proof of age. So either it’s a Walmart thing or your state/town.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 12 20.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 2 3.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 7 12.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 32 55.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 8.6%
Back