Snowflake Clownfish Breeding Attempting to raise Snowflakes

nayrgaijin

Aquaculture Advocate
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
lol one colony at a time huh thats the way to do it. I dont want to upset moderators i will post all 9 pairs available tonight in the classified section. if anyone wants pairs just pm i have 8 available keep everything pm please lol

One way to not upset us is just giving us each a pair ;) haha j/k man

Nice setup and NICE clowns!!!!

racerw

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice. Good luck with the black and snowflake.
Is the reg clown that is breeding with the snowflake a wild caught or captive bred?

Elan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
absolutley and thank you for your responses much appreciated. ELan just tell me what your interested in learning and i will specify everything for you

ok, i am just really interested in the larvae after hatching. are they moved into glass tanks or rubbermaids etc. and all filtration in the first month or so of their development. also a little bit on the parents too.

Thanks!

OP
OP
C

christosclowns

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well thank you all for your comments much appreciated. The female is A wild caught female that has been spawning for 2 years prior to meeting her snowflake prince lol.

Basically here is the run down. Now I cant type for days becaus eI am tired but I wiull let everyone know when my book In the Mind of a Clownfish is ready and you all can buy it lol.

To Breed or start breeding
A pair of clowns obviously. I recommend buying a breeding pair its much easier this way because you wiull not have to wait long for them to spawn. If you dont have the funds for this just get yourself to juveniles and let them decide who will be male or female.

2nd is the tank. I prefer smaller tanks. The 14 gallon or even the 8 gallon oceanic bio cube is perfect that is how i started way back lol. Bare bottom with a pot. Or you can do live sand and a pot. People always ask why not an anenome? My answer is because clownfish will play in the anenome all day long and not focus on breeding. The will spawn eventually but i am just against it my opinion on what has worked for me. So clay pot or tile. I prefer the pot it gives them a sense of security. 4inch pot will do unless your clowns are 5 inches give them a 6

Lighting.
Extremely important. I run my lights form 7 am till 11 pm straight t5 lights all day. And you have to i repeat have to use timers. You will delay spawning if your not on the money every day with their lights on and off thats why you need a timer. See in the wild they have a biological clock that tells them ok sleep ok awake time. If you pay attention to your clowns you will see within minutes of lights out they know to go into their sleeping spot because it is safe there. So light cycle is important

Temperature
I run 85 to 87 all year round no less and no more. Once again this is what works for me in a breeding system with no corals and no other fish but clowns. I am not telling you to raise your temp in your tanks to 87 with all your corals but i am telling you that the higher the temp the more active and higher their metabolismi is. Hence the more they eat.

Salinity
Clownfish have their own saliity that is stable within their body. I keep my clowns at a salinity of 1.019 since i am running high temperatures i like to keep the salinity lower so there is more oxygen for them. The higher the temperature and with the gas exchange oxygen will deplete. So here is the scenario. 80 degrees 1.022 86 degrees 1.017 to 1.019 and its perfect. No you will not kill them i have had clowns breed at 1.013 so no worries and no you wont cook them i have had tnaks at 90 and they did fine. Once again i mam not telling you to put them at 90 lol but stay within reason

Spawning
Great you have eggs now fun part starts. 7 to 9 days later they will hatch. Until you get it down pat on realizing what eggs that are about to hatch look like i suggest letting them hatch in the tank twice or three times so you can time what ay they hatch on. If you dont want to do this here is my way of telling. I take the pot close to the glass and hit it with a bright led light. If i dont see a orange embryo sac inside the egg they are hatching right then and there.

Larvae
Ten gallon tank filled with 5 gallons of parent tank water.
Aerate the eggs so the motion comingoff the bubbles is moving the eggs not the bubbles direct. Eggs will hatch 1 to two hours after lights go out. I put rotifer in the tank right after they hatch and tint the water a lime color green with Nano 3600 which you can get from Reed mariculture. So what happens is as the larvae eat the rotifer the rotifer multiply at the same time since your feeding the rotifer the Nano 3600. This is called co culturing.
Here is my schedual
Day
1 I do nothing but dose with amqueul plus to capfuls and add nano

2 same same as above

3 same as above

4 I siphon off the garbage on the bottom about 1 gallon and i drip in 2 gallons of mixed salt water make sure ph is same as larvae tank very crucial and of course rotifer or nano if needed i start feeding crushed otihime and flake food

5 Same as above and i add rotifer or nano if needed plus otihime and flake

6 Same as above except i dont feed the rotifer i start allowing them to die off

7 Meta will start and by now they are strictly on crushed pellet abd i feed rotifer after today i do 20 percent water changes until day ten or eleven whatever day i see head stripes. Then i stick a seeded sponge filter that has been working in my sumps for biological. I take pieces of live rock and the filter and place them in the larvae tanbk. The larvae will hang out in here forone to 2 months and then they go into grow out

OP
OP
C

christosclowns

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Breeders

HPIM7771.jpg

Growout

IMG_3539.jpg

Fat girl with eggs

IMG_3948.jpg

IMG_3966_1.jpg

Eggs

fishbabies115.jpg

53225391.jpg

Larvae

53745405.jpg

Enjoy hope i help

gqjeff

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very nice.. I might have to try and rear some of mine.. I have a black/white pair that has been breeding for well over a yr. Just never found the time to give it the ole college try...

fenderguy1

Prop/Shipping Pro
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thats soo neat! Its has to be awesome to look into a tank full of clown babies that you have raised.

Back