Female clown won’t pair with male

PeterC2904

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a female black storm clownfish and recently I bought a black snowflake clownfish in hopes of a pair. The male I bought is a juvenile so he is much smaller than the female. I know when it comes to clowns pairing nothing is guaranteed but the female is being very aggressive with him and the male has spent the past 2 days at the surface of my tank with the female occasionally going up to bully him. Is there still a chance of them pairing or should I do something before something bad happens? Is this normal?

SeaHorseQueen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a female exactly like this. Remove the female and put her in a breeder box for around a week and try again. Worked on my female. It gave her time to get used to him as well.

OP
OP
P

PeterC2904

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a female exactly like this. Remove the female and put her in a breeder box for around a week and try again. Worked on my female. It gave her time to get used to him as well.
Never tried breeder box before, any recommendations on one I should buy or will any do? My tank is 13.5 gallon by the way. Also will she do okay in there for a whole week?

littlefoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Never tried breeder box before, any recommendations on one I should buy or will any do? My tank is 13.5 gallon by the way. Also will she do okay in there for a whole week?
Yes she will be. I looked on amazon and found one. It also gives the male a chance to learn the tank. I call it the no no box Ive got a ***** purple tang I had to do that with when adding fish cause he was a terror and would throw a fit in the box. My current purple isnt as bad as him but usually got them to chill out

OP
OP
P

PeterC2904

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes she will be. I looked on amazon and found one. It also gives the male a chance to learn the tank. I call it the no no box Ive got a ***** purple tang I had to do that with when adding fish cause he was a terror and would throw a fit in the box. My current purple isnt as bad as him but usually got them to chill out
I believe I just purchased the one on Amazon you are taking about, should be here tomorrow. Thanks for the reply I’ll put her in there for a week and see what happens. Just curious, after the week if she’s still acting the same, should I put her back in there or maybe consider removing the female from the tank entirely?

littlefoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I believe I just purchased the one on Amazon you are taking about, should be here tomorrow. Thanks for the reply I’ll put her in there for a week and see what happens. Just curious, after the week if she’s still acting the same, should I put her back in there or maybe consider removing the female from the tank entirely?
I put them back in the box. Or sump if you have one. Clowns are tricky, you might have to do it a few times with her.

littlefoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Will do, again thanks for the response was a lot of help
No problem! Good luck. You can also try re arranging the aqua scape for smaller holes she cant get to him if he goes in there too. Shes just showing him shes boss lady! Once he does the little submission dance (looks like a seizure dont be alarmed) theyve started the process of really bonding

OP
OP
P

PeterC2904

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No problem! Good luck. You can also try re arranging the aqua scape for smaller holes she cant get to him if he goes in there too. Shes just showing him shes boss lady! Once he does the little submission dance (looks like a seizure dont be alarmed) theyve started the process of really bonding
Thanks and ya I will definitely try that, anything to help the process out

littlefoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks and ya I will definitely try that, anything to help the process out
Biggest thing is to make sure the male gets food. You might need to get a syringe and spot feed him until they bond!

OP
OP
P

PeterC2904

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Biggest thing is to make sure the male gets food. You might need to get a syringe and spot feed him until they bond!
I spot feed anyways so that actually works out, hopefully this gets the female to relax a bit, thanks again I’ll put an update on here a week from now

SeaHorseQueen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just bought a mesh breeder box and just fed her like normal for 6 days.

clownfishmama

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a female black storm clownfish and recently I bought a black snowflake clownfish in hopes of a pair. The male I bought is a juvenile so he is much smaller than the female. I know when it comes to clowns pI
Is the male twitching whenever she attacks him? That's him submitting to her dominance.

neforpubl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had to do this about a dozen times over the course of a year until my female decided to stop being a *****.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 14.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 7.1%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.7%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 78 55.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.4%
Back