Violence between clownfish

valley

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello, I just bought a pair of clownfish today from my LFS. I got them home in about an hour and floated for 20 min then drip acclimated for 30 min. I have a bta but it hasn’t been hosted. They seemed pretty much fine but now I’m noticing that the larger female is attacking the smaller male. She’s biting and pushing him. Is this normal? Maybe this is only happening because they’re both still getting used to the tank? I’m just afraid that she might end up killing the male. They seemed fine at the LFS and were among other types of fish. I also saw them be fed and they ate fine. I’ve only fed a little bit of flakes and the female did eat but I’m not sure if the male did.

WalkerLoves_TheOcean

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Usually this is normal. The female shows dominance to the male, especially while pairing up.

I believe it's possible your LFS just recently added them to the tank together, and maybe they haven't paired yet.

I wouldn't worry about it to much, unless the female actually starts damaging the male.

If that happens, you need to put the female in "jail". Get a breeders box, and keep the female in there for a few days to a week. Then, reunite the 2.

OP
OP
V

valley

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wouldn't worry about it to much, unless the female actually starts damaging the male.

If that happens, you need to put the female in "jail". Get a breeders box, and keep the female in there for a few days to a week. Then, reunite the 2.
How can I tell if the female has done some damage to the male? The male is already starting to swim in like a more panicked/weird way but I don’t see any fin damage.

WalkerLoves_TheOcean

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How can I tell if the female has done some damage to the male? The male is already starting to swim in like a more panicked/weird way but I don’t see any fin damage.
You will see it.

Nipped/damaged fins are usually the most obvious to see.

SteelTanker54

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How is this situation now? I’m going through a similar thing. I just put the female in isolation in the tank today after she has damaged the male’s fins.

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 71 75.5%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 11 11.7%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 7 7.4%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 2 2.1%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

Votes: 2 2.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.1%
Back