Female Clown Killed Male

PeterC2904

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I’ve had this pair of clownfish (long fin and black storm). Up until this point they have been paired and have had no issues with them for 10 straight months. All of a sudden the female (black storm) started attacking the long fin, I didn’t think too much of so I left it alone but the next morning I woke up and found the male (long fin) ripped to shreds. I quickly took him out and brought him to my friends tank but unfortunately he didn’t make it. I am now just very confused as to why this even happened like I said they have been paired and had no issues for 10 months and this sorta just came out of no where. Did I do something wrong? Is there why thing I should’ve done? Any advice on what to do with the lone female now? Anything helps.

6A696481-F74A-4D19-B26A-3F8B4798D086.jpeg EC24790D-0080-4C43-84FD-F7F2279DA213.jpeg 14814922-811C-4570-BE80-A857966F0711.jpeg 83CAC0E0-EF50-4D0F-B949-462F9F54D50F.jpeg

Cell

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Clowns will do that sometimes.

Cell

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The time frame doesn't really matter. Will she do it again? Maybe, maybe not.

TX_REEF

Kessil Fanboy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you sure the black storm was female? It appears smaller than the other fish, but I could be wrong. It could be that one was longfin and one wasn't so the difference is appearance caused aggression somehow.

OP
OP
P

PeterC2904

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you sure the black storm was female? It appears smaller than the other fish, but I could be wrong. It could be that one was longfin and one wasn't so the difference is appearance caused aggression somehow
I mean maybe, but I was pretty certain the black storm was female this whole time, my only guess is that the long fin grew bigger and got around the same size, but I was under the impression the female grew bigger in the first place so that’s why I’m just confused. You think if the new clown I add is smaller than the black storm it will prevent any further issues?

TX_REEF

Kessil Fanboy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I mean maybe, but I was pretty certain the black storm was female this whole time, my only guess is that the long fin grew bigger and got around the same size, but I was under the impression the female grew bigger in the first place so that’s why I’m just confused. You think if the new clown I add is smaller than the black storm it will prevent any further issues?
it's not a guarantee, but it's your best bet for sure to make sure the next addition is a juvenile and smaller than the existing clown.

OP
OP
P

PeterC2904

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
it's not a guarantee, but it's your best bet for sure to make sure the next addition is a juvenile and smaller than the existing clown.
Will do thanks, I’m just gonna guess the sizes of them were too similar but who knows

exnisstech

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I hate to hear these stories. When I do it's usually when someone introduces both at or about the same time. IMO the deaths occurs because one if the clowns has not transitioned to female. If I'm not getting a bonded pair I always add one and like to wait around a year or so then introduce the smallest one I can find as the male. I'm no expert and haven't paired hundreds but I have never had one kill the other doing it this way, even maroons. I have had death adding two at once hoping they would sort it out. It's most likely the survivor is female now or on the way so. I would use an acclimation box if you try introducing another one.

EDIT : I just added this small male last week and didn't get any bickering and they both sleep together in the same nem already. I've had the female over a year. 20231225_112011.jpg

littlefoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Based on the sizes kinda looks like they were both males and reaching sexual maturity and they were fighting to determine who was the female. If the other doesnt submit they keep going at it until one dies, kinda looks like that might have been the case just based on size but who knows clowns have the reputation they have for a reason!

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
But even after being paired for 10 straight months? Will she do it again if I bring in a new clown into the tank?
Clowns will do that sometimes, obviously.

The breeding of many new highbred crosses is likely to confuse the behaviors that they exhibit during their courtship rituals. The more distant the crosses the more likihood of failure of the fish to reconize the behavior (ideally submission of one to the other) to prevent war to the death. It's like failure to wear the Burka in a sharia country, death is the only acceptable outcome for the infidel.

That they survived 10 months together is probably because they were not motivated to breed before this, but once the courtship got heavy the lack of proper submissive cues caused them to battle to the finish. Clowns do this often, and "pairs" sold in LFS are often just 2 clownfishes that tolerate each other enough while they are stuck in a tiny LFS tank.

Suggest that you find a similar breed for the survivor to increase the chances of success as a pair in the future. This will always depend upon the interaction between the two fishes in captivity and is not depended upon the mate choice that you provide. If the dominant fish doesn't like the "mate" the outcome is likely another death of the smaller, crazy expensive fish that you choose.

OP
OP
P

PeterC2904

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I hate to hear these stories. When I do it's usually when someone introduces both at or about the same time. IMO the deaths occurs because one if the clowns has not transitioned to female. If I'm not getting a bonded pair I always add one and like to wait around a year or so then introduce the smallest one I can find as the male. I'm no expert and haven't paired hundreds but I have never had one kill the other doing it this way, even maroons. I have had death adding two at once hoping they would sort it out. It's most likely the survivor is female now or on the way so. I would use an acclimation box if you try introducing another one.

EDIT : I just added this small male last week and didn't get any bickering and they both sleep together in the same nem already. I've had the female over a year. 20231225_112011.jpg
I see ya it’s unfortunate and I hate to think I should’ve known this or I could’ve done something. I’ll be more careful how I approach clown fish from now on thanks for the reply

OP
OP
P

PeterC2904

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Based on the sizes kinda looks like they were both males and reaching sexual maturity and they were fighting to determine who was the female. If the other doesnt submit they keep going at it until one dies, kinda looks like that might have been the case just based on size but who knows clowns have the reputation they have for a reason!
Ya I mean that most likely was what happened… it’s unfortunate but I’ll be more careful from now on, thanks for the reply.

D-Nak

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The bottom line is that this happens -- it's hard to predict and there's nothing that can be done about it. I have multiple pairs and have one female that has short-circuited twice and killed the males, for no apparent reason.

You can help to mitigate by following the suggestions previously mentioned -- smaller size and similar morph -- but again, it might just happen out of the blue.

OP
OP
P

PeterC2904

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Clowns will do that sometimes, obviously.

The breeding of many new highbred crosses is likely to confuse the behaviors that they exhibit during their courtship rituals. The more distant the crosses the more likihood of failure of the fish to reconize the behavior (ideally submission of one to the other) to prevent war to the death. It's like failure to wear the Burka in a sharia country, death is the only acceptable outcome for the infidel.

That they survived 10 months together is probably because they were not motivated to breed before this, but once the courtship got heavy the lack of proper submissive cues caused them to battle to the finish. Clowns do this often, and "pairs" sold in LFS are often just 2 clownfishes that tolerate each other enough while they are stuck in a tiny LFS tank.

Suggest that you find a similar breed for the survivor to increase the chances of success as a pair in the future. This will always depend upon the interaction between the two fishes in captivity and is not depended upon the mate choice that you provide. If the dominant fish doesn't like the "mate" the outcome is likely another death of the smaller, crazy expensive fish that you choose.
I see thanks for the reply. That makes sense now, wish I knew this before hand, hate that I could’ve done something if I had known.

exnisstech

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I see ya it’s unfortunate and I hate to think I should’ve known this or I could’ve done something. I’ll be more careful how I approach clown fish from now on thanks for the reply
Don't beat yourself up over it. Things like this happen and many times it's no one's fault. We just try to learn and keep moving forward.

OP
OP
P

PeterC2904

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don't beat yourself up over it. Things like this happen and many times it's no one's fault. We just try to learn and keep moving forward.
Ya at least I know now, probably gonna leave her alone for a while before I add a new clown, definitely something a lot smaller most likely another storm clown

Harold999

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did you change the color of your light suddenly?

When i do this, my female clown gets very aggressive to the male. I think the reason is because of the sudden light change, he looks different to her.
When i change the light back she immediately calms down.

Only happens with sudden lightcolor changes, not the slower programmed ones.

clownfishmama

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I’ve had this pair of clownfish (long fin and black storm). Up until this point they have been paired and have had no issues with them for 10 straight months. All of a sudden the female (black storm) started attacking the long fin, I didn’t think too much of so I left it alone but the next morning I woke up and found the male (long fin) ripped to shreds. I quickly took him out and brought him to my friends tank but unfortunately he didn’t make it. I am now just very confused as to why this even happened like I said they have been paired and had no issues for 10 months and this sorta just came out of no where. Did I do something wrong? Is there why thing I should’ve done? Any advice on what to do with the lone female now? Anything helps.

6A696481-F74A-4D19-B26A-3F8B4798D086.jpeg EC24790D-0080-4C43-84FD-F7F2279DA213.jpeg 14814922-811C-4570-BE80-A857966F0711.jpeg 83CAC0E0-EF50-4D0F-B949-462F9F54D50F.jpeg
I'm sorry that happened! Did you try and swap them out for another pair?

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.2%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 82 56.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 6.9%
Back