Snowflake eel escaped, is he dying?

Mglass

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I just broke down and moved a 75 gal tank that was gifted to me. It's been up and running for 2 days now. I saw the snowflake get into the overflow and back out before the move. I made a cover for the overflow. The tanks has lids. I saw a couple spots that were raise a little, so I duct taped them closed. I guess they opened up a bit and he was able to wiggle through. Didn't see him this morning, figured he was buried, then started to get worried. I happened to be adjusting a pump and saw him behind the tank.

I got him fished out from behind the tank, he was lifeless and stiff. I put him back in the water. My guess he was out a maximum of 10 hours. About 10 minutes later it looked like he started gasping for air or trying to breathe. About another 5-10 minutes he started to limber up. He turned kind of this pale ghost color. We let him be for a couple hours while we ran out. Can back and it looks like he's shedding, some of his color is back. He has moved about half his body around from where it was.

In everyone's honest opinion, does he look like he's suffering, or should I give him more time and see if he pulls through? He barely moves his head, and just sits there gasping. Or is there something I should do to help?b I know its a heck of a first post and introduction, but I didn't have anyone else to ask. Thanks for any help.
20231228_085537.jpg
20231228_093052.jpg
20231228_145447.jpg

Gtinnel

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m no expert but I do know that some eels can survive for a surprisingly long time out of the water. I think it’s because they secrete a mucus coat that helps them survive and that is probably what you see him shedding.

I would say give him some more time, I’d guess there is a good chance he will be fine.

Last edited:
OP
OP
M

Mglass

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, after typing this and tending to the newborn, I went to check on him. The only thing left in the area he was, was the shed he left. Im guessing he made it to his hiding hole. Guess it's a waiting game now. I did actually check behind the tank again just to be on the safe side, lol.

Gtinnel

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, after typing this and tending to the newborn, I went to check on him. The only thing left in the area he was, was the shed he left. Im guessing he made it to his hiding hole. Guess it's a waiting game now. I did actually check behind the tank again just to be on the safe side, lol.
just make sure to prevent him from being able to get out again. I think every person who keeps eels has had one escape at some point. My Snowflake squeezed out through a tiny hole once, but luckily I was near the tank and heard him hit the floor.

Mr_Knightley

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Echidna genus eels are known to be intertidal hunters (one of the reasons they leave the water so much) and have been confirmed to have survived a max of 36 hours out of water! So I'm not surprised that yours has survived. Such cool animals.

Seansea

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes they will slither from tidal pool to tidal pool out of water looki g to capture things stuck in them. Mine was out for a few hours when my wife was having some kind of girls party and it was slithering all over house freakin everybody out. I caught him which was hard as hell cuz they slippery. Put him back in no sweat. I would say he prob freaked out but shoukd be fine.

OP
OP
M

Mglass

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
just make sure to prevent him from being able to get out again. I think every person who keeps eels has had one escape at some point. My Snowflake squeezed out through a tiny hole once, but luckily I was near the tank and heard him hit the floor.
I watched him slide up and over the overflow before I moved the tank. I made a cover for that, cause I went with a herbie style drain setup. I was afraid he would get stuck in a drain. I watched him when I set the tank up, he went straight over to that area and started inspecting it. I taped the back down, but I guess it lifted a little overnight. The only spot I can see is about a 1/4 inch, maybe a tad more. It's pretty crazy cause he's about 14 inches long and a little bigger around than your thumb.

Gtinnel

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I watched him slide up and over the overflow before I moved the tank. I made a cover for that, cause I went with a herbie style drain setup. I was afraid he would get stuck in a drain. I watched him when I set the tank up, he went straight over to that area and started inspecting it. I taped the back down, but I guess it lifted a little overnight. The only spot I can see is about a 1/4 inch, maybe a tad more. It's pretty crazy cause he's about 14 inches long and a little bigger around than your thumb.
It’s impressive how they can find a way to escape. My snowflake is relatively large and a few nights ago I noticed him lifting my screen lid up.

JayM

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had one back in the late ‘80’s. I found out he’d escaped during the night because early one morning my daughter stepped on it and started screaming. He was literally stuck to the carpet. I put him back in the tank hoping for the best, and by the end of the day was acting like nothing happened.

If he wasn’t dead when you dropped him back in the tank, chances are good he’ll be fine.

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If it's looking for food then perhaps increase the amount of food offered to try and keep it from hunting so often.

OP
OP
M

Mglass

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well unfortunately he didn't make it. He moved back into his cave for awhile. I came out at about 2am one morning and he was out in front of the tank. He was moving around a little bit, but when I woke up that morning he was still in that spot and he was gone. Really sucks, he was a cool little dude

Katrina71

Learn, Laugh, Love
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I'm sorry for your loss

Seansea

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ibferp your pain. My blue dot jwlawfish just did ancarpet surf thru the tiniest hole. These guys need basically the same kind of encloser as an eel.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 12.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 7.1%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 23 14.8%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 89 57.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 11 7.1%
Back