Snowflake Eel Looking Moribund

hoffmeyerz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Our snowflake eel has taken a downtown. Has seemed to be acting odd so I've kept an eye on it over the last month but today noticed it was bloated in the midsection and had labored breathing.
I have moved it to a qt but was worried that stress alone could end things. I've seen several posts on this but no real direct correlation. I also saw that it may be better to wait things out than blind grab at meds.
Anything else I should or can be doing?
@vetteguy53081, @lion king, @Jay Hemdal

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Our snowflake eel has taken a downtown. Has seemed to be acting odd so I've kept an eye on it over the last month but today noticed it was bloated in the midsection and had labored breathing.
I have moved it to a qt but was worried that stress alone could end things. I've seen several posts on this but no real direct correlation. I also saw that it may be better to wait things out than blind grab at meds.

Can you post a video?
How long have you had the eel?
What was its last meal?

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
can you post a video under white lighting of at least 30 seconds?
Any bruising or discoloration you can see?
As you may be aware, eel need good water quality especially low nitrate levels as they can be messy housekeepers. Good filtration and skimmer is a must with their housing and do assure you are not getting false readings. Changing their water frequently can be just as harmful. For the bloating, two possible things may be lack of iodine, in which eels require amounts of iodine in their diet along with their tank environment. check your iodine levels in your tank as you may need to supplement if your not doing so BUT be sure to test levels before dosing AS overdosing can be lethal.. . . but lack of iodine can cause goiter which is swelling of glands.
Other cause would be vitamin deficiency

OP
OP
hoffmeyerz

hoffmeyerz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It is in a qt but I will try to get a video. Laying still with shallow breathing.
I have had it a year-and-a-half and it's always been good. Water quality has been stable and good, I do run a skimmer. Water parameters are:
Spec grav. 1.024 - 1.025
NO3 - 11
PO4 - 0.1
PH - 8.3 - 8.4
ALK - 6 (have been there quite some time and working on raising, no corals yet.)
Typical diet over the whole time we've had it has been scallop, shrimp, and silversides, with the bulk being scallop.
Has been showing less and less interest in food over the last few weeks. Sometimes eat and sometimes take the food in it's cave and leave it.
Last tried feeding three or so days ago, I think it actually took one piece down, found the others stuck to the wav pump.

OP
OP
hoffmeyerz

hoffmeyerz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't think there's much point to a video. It's laying still with only an occasional, barely detectable movement through the gills and lift of the head.
I didn't think it was going to last long, especially with the stress of catching and moving into qt but I had to try something.
Very disheartening. I was really trying to keep an eye on it since it starting acting different. So bummed :(
Thank you for your responses!

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't think there's much point to a video. It's laying still with only an occasional, barely detectable movement through the gills and lift of the head.
I didn't think it was going to last long, especially with the stress of catching and moving into qt but I had to try something.
Very disheartening. I was really trying to keep an eye on it since it starting acting different. So bummed :(
Thank you for your responses!
Here is a clue; scallops are high in thiaminase. True silversides are not, but most of the aquarium “silversides” being sold are really a type of smelt, and those are high as well. I think only the Sanfrancisco bay brand is true silversides. Shrimp are also slightly high. What this could mean is that over time, your eel became deficient in thiamin. I always supplement predatory fish diets with thiamin and vitamin E.

The length of time you’ve had the fish and the gradual onset of symptoms support this idea as well.

OP
OP
hoffmeyerz

hoffmeyerz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is a clue; scallops are high in thiaminase. True silversides are not, but most of the aquarium “silversides” being sold are really a type of smelt, and those are high as well. I think only the Sanfrancisco bay brand is true silversides. Shrimp are also slightly high. What this could mean is that over time, your eel became deficient in thiamin. I always supplement predatory fish diets with thiamin and vitamin E.

The length of time you’ve had the fish and the gradual onset of symptoms support this idea as well.
Thanks Jay. I was feeding Sanfrancisco bay silversides but I did lower how often I did those because when I did it killed the foam production on my skimmer, I mean gone!. Then, when I used up what I had the lfs switched to Hikari which i noticed right away seemed like a different fish.
I will supplement for any predatory fish I may consider in the future

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks Jay. I was feeding Sanfrancisco bay silversides but I did lower how often I did those because when I did it killed the foam production on my skimmer, I mean gone!. Then, when I used up what I had the lfs switched to Hikari which i noticed right away seemed like a different fish.
Of course, this may not be a thiaminase issue at all, I just wanted to bring it up as a possibility.

Debramb

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m sorry to jump on, I love eels, but can’t home one, is yours ok?
Was following. It seems the experts focused on food.
Debra

OP
OP
hoffmeyerz

hoffmeyerz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m sorry to jump on, I love eels, but can’t home one, is yours ok?
Was following. It seems the experts focused on food.
Debra
I moved it to my qt hoping I could figure something out and nurse it back but unfortunately it passed away the following day. It's pure speculation at this point but I would have to agree with vetteguy and Jay that it developed a deficiency over the year and a half I had it. I will for sure supplement my foods for predatory fish if I ever have one again in the future. I was really bummed out, I really liked the little bugger!

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 47 16.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 18 6.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 35 12.5%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 160 57.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 6.8%
Back