Snowflake went carpet surfing onto Diatomaceous Earth

DaddyFish

“5 percenter”
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a roughly 18" Snowflake Eel, Diamond Watchman Goby, BIG Red Hermit in a 54-gal corner DT. I've battled Brookynella in that tank over the past couple months, losing clowns and Powder Brown Tang. So I gave up the fight and moved everyone to my 55-gal QT in the basement for treatment while I washed/bleached/re-started the DT.

Everyone has been doing just great, then last night for some unknown reason, after the very last scheduled dose of formalin was added, the Snowflake bailed out via one of the HOBs I have on that tank. Only thing I can think of is that I moved the Gobie who constantly hung out in the crevice between the filter body and the end tank wall. The Goby was the Eel's buddy. They occupied shells together and had the most weird interspecies thing you've ever seen. I was going to move the Eel today but alas, she bailed on me.

Anyway, I have Diatomaceous Earth spread around the basement perimeter as a crawling insect preventative. It's not poisonous, but it is highly abrasive and the Snowflake was wallowing around in it this morning when I discovered her missing from the QT.

Any recommendations on meds to assist with healing? Should I go ahead and move the Eel to the DT which is completely sealed to avoid a repeat carpet surfing, or keep her in QT for meds/treatment? Both tanks are FOTs, I don't do corals.

lion king

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No need for any type of treatment, clean pristine water conditions is the best you can do. As you said it is not poisonous but is abrasive, just observe no type of bacterial issues arise. Pristine water conditions and fed well should be preventative enough. By the way, what are you feeding.

OP
OP
DaddyFish

DaddyFish

“5 percenter”
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No need for any type of treatment, clean pristine water conditions is the best you can do. As you said it is not poisonous but is abrasive, just observe no type of bacterial issues arise. Pristine water conditions and fed well should be preventative enough. By the way, what are you feeding.
Mostly frozen krill, some bloodworms

lion king

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mostly frozen krill, some bloodworms

I was afraid of that, more and more Im finding people feeding a dominant krill diet. Krill will lead to nutritional defiencencies specifically vitamin B1. Please add chunks of shrimp, squid, octopus, and silversides if you want an eel with a long life. If there are any abrasions from his trip, krill only will not protect him from a bacterial infection. This is worst case so an infection is not imminent.

OP
OP
DaddyFish

DaddyFish

“5 percenter”
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was afraid of that, more and more Im finding people feeding a dominant krill diet. Krill will lead to nutritional defiencencies specifically vitamin B1. Please add chunks of shrimp, squid, octopus, and silversides if you want an eel with a long life. If there are any abrasions from his trip, krill only will not protect him from a bacterial infection. This is worst case so an infection is not imminent.
Thanks, I admittedly don't know much about vitamin balance in fresh seafood, but I'm learning. I have a friend who has a 30" Snowflake that's roughly 3-4 years old and he feeds almost exclusively krill (with the occasional accidentally sacrificed clownfish steak tossed in), so I started there. I will shop tomorrow.

Bubbles, bubbles, and more bubbles: Do you keep bubble-like corals in your reef?

• I currently have bubble-like corals in my reef.

Votes: 55 39.9%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I have in the past.

Votes: 16 11.6%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 39 28.3%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 26 18.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.4%
Back