OP
MaggieH

MaggieH

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maggie, I think you are doing just fine.

I've been in the hobby for 20 years and have 2 tanks running, and I use API test kits all the time. The other kits like Red Sea, Salifert and others are not really any more accurate than API. They do show results in finer scales, but that doesn't make them more accurate.

The algae you are getting now is probably diatoms which will be a fine covering on the glass and sand. Just scrape it off or blow it off with a turkey baster. In time, usually 2 to 4 weeks it will slow down and grow much less. It's kind of a bloom and as it uses up it food in the tank it will grow less.

Take your time, keep asking questions, good luck and have fun with it.
Thanks Ron :)

Katrina71

Learn, Laugh, Love
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
As the tank was originally a FW tank i am using a canister filter with 250ltr capacity on my 150ltr tank. I have a hang on skimmer and a powerhead. I am saving up for a larger tank that will be custom with a sum. I feel like i have poossibly made it harder for myself in the begining
This is most likely why your nitrates are high. Common with cannisters. @sfin52 can you give Ms. Maggie some tips on how you combat yours?

sfin52

So many pedestrians so little time
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is most likely why your nitrates are high. Common with cannisters. @sfin52 can you give Ms. Maggie some tips on how you combat yours?
Nitrates can get high with a canister. Detailed and religious cleaning of the canisters is needed. If it has ribbed tubing change to a smooth tubing.

OP
OP
MaggieH

MaggieH

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nitrates can get high with a canister. Detailed and religious cleaning of the canisters is needed. If it has ribbed tubing change to a smooth tubing.
I clean the canister every week when I do a water change and tank clean, and yes it has smooth durable tubing that I can see through. My Sundays are tank days, I make the water in the morning for all my tanks, mix the saltwater and gently warm up to the right temp. I do my FW first to give the saltwater time to settle then my saltwater tanks.

lapin

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Howdy and welcome
I would not stress over the reef tank. Its a learning experience. Like a new job. Keep up with the routine you have and your tank will mature over time.
I think this is what confuses me the most, all the different opinions, the funny thigs is I have only started stressing about my water since testing. Before that I relied on my aquarium to test my water.
Your going to get a lot of ipinions. Take each with a dash of salt. Some will be good and others will be just ipinions based on something they heard or read.

Ron Reefman

Lets Go Snorkeling!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Howdy and welcome
I would not stress over the reef tank. Its a learning experience. Like a new job. Keep up with the routine you have and your tank will mature over time.

Your going to get a lot of ipinions. Take each with a dash of salt. Some will be good and others will be just ipinions based on something they heard or read.

And one of the things that makes this hobby a bit more tricky is the fact that there are so many ways to go about it. And if take one branch in the path it may mean there are some approaches you can't use. And it gets more and more confusing as you get started.

But take your time, do your research (like reading here) and you'll be OK.

BTW, welcome to R2R.

wave hello or goodbye.gif

sfin52

So many pedestrians so little time
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I clean the canister every week when I do a water change and tank clean, and yes it has smooth durable tubing that I can see through. My Sundays are tank days, I make the water in the morning for all my tanks, mix the saltwater and gently warm up to the right temp. I do my FW first to give the saltwater time to settle then my saltwater tanks.
You will be fine. You got a great routine just keep it up.

Katrina71

Learn, Laugh, Love
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Do you keep an airstone on hand? My go-to when something isn't right. 30% water change and drop in an airstone.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 46 16.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 18 6.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 35 12.6%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 159 57.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 6.8%
Back