so i found a AA battery in my sump... what to test for

mykidsclownfish

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So, as i mentioned in another thread, my 18 month old tossed a AA battery and a few bites of apple into my sump on sunday. i discovered the apple on monday and did a 5 g water change. I found the battery on tuesday and did another 5 g water change. my system is a 20g display and 10g sump for a total volume of about 26 gal. i have basic ammonia, nitrite, nitrate, ph test kit. what else should i be looking for. most of my livestock seems to be fine, except my pipe organ coral is closed, but he does that from time to time.

Moral of the story, put a child lock on your tank stand if you have rugrats, i did after this.

Reefs-A-Lot

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
as long as it didnt leak anything into the water, they are sealed really well. did it start to rust ? that may be the next issue if so you may have more amounts trace minerals, but then i don't think aluminum rusts.

redtop03

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
you're probable OK since it wasn't in there long enough to corrode to the center part of the battery, not really sure you could test for anything, just watch your critters for a few days for any ill signs, maybe do a few more water changes just to be safe....

I've had a few neighbors toddlers who wanted to splash in my sump water but i've not seen anything tossed in there yet, I always encourage their interest in my tank but I try to watch closely when we have small ones around....

that is very good advice to lock up the cabinet doors from the little ones though, my stand is all wide open and my sump is big enough for a small one to climb into so I have to be extra vigilent with 'em

OP
OP
M

mykidsclownfish

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
it started to corrode but only a little, here is a pic
ENG-002384T - WIN_20130806_182112.jpg

The water change comment begs another question. is there such a thing as to many water changes? i have now changed out nearly 50% of my volume in two days. is it ok to do more?

beaslbob

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Put the + (red) wire on the pointy end of the battery, the - (black) wire on the flat end of the batter. Set the meter to 2V dc. If you don't get a reading throw the battery in the trash.

If you do get a reading toss it in the trash anyway.

(psst if things look fine and you don't have an ammonia spike you're probably ok)

my .02

OP
OP
M

mykidsclownfish

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
+1 on childproofing. it is hard to get upset with them. i think it is awesome how much my 18 month old likes the fish.
WP_20130807_006.jpg
WP_20130807_005.jpg

I Love seeing the kids look at the tank

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 34 30.4%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 3 2.7%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 30 26.8%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 40 35.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 4.5%
Back