So I got ich

jerl77

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So it looks like I got it from a coral frag that came in. Never thought this would happen. I quarantine every fish. I’m very careful with everything I do, but it is what it is. So I’m looking to set up a rack system with 2 29 gallon tanks And a sump so my question is what do I use in the sump for biological media was thinking live rock but I keep hearing that live rock sucks up the copper. What about the ceramic media?

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Most people use PVC hiding places and a bare tank. It's hard to say because different 'ceramic' media may be different in the way they interact with medications. It unclear what you're trying to do - set up a QT tank - or a treatment tank? PS - if you think its ich you will need to treat all of your fish and leave the tank fallow for 45-76 days depending on the protocol you decide to use.

The thing that's not understood (to me) is the rack system. Do you mean 2 tanks with 1 sump (which I would not recommend) - or something different

ISpeakForTheSeas

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So it looks like I got it from a coral frag that came in. Never thought this would happen. I quarantine every fish. I’m very careful with everything I do, but it is what it is. So I’m looking to set up a rack system with 2 29 gallon tanks And a sump so my question is what do I use in the sump for biological media was thinking live rock but I keep hearing that live rock sucks up the copper. What about the ceramic media?
Most people seem to use filter media like sponge filters - ceramic media would be fine though:
Ceramic media won't absorb copper, a small amount might "adsorb" onto it, but not enough to worry about.
Not live rock as most is calcium based and may bind with the copper. Are marine pure blocks made out of sintered glass or ceramic? That would be inert and would work.

Jay

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
No rock in QT/treatment system which absorbs a level of copper. Sponge seeded from another tank is best. Ceramic will do what live rock does. Ideal is seeded sponge within a hang on power filter for circulation and biological capability

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
The key point - no matter which media you use (I had some ceramic media that was more like activated carbon lol) - is to measure levels of copper in your system

OP
OP
jerl77

jerl77

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes I was thinking two tanks and a sump just to keep the water volume up

OP
OP
jerl77

jerl77

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am pulling all the fish so they all can’t fit in one tank that’s way I was going with a rack system
Just stuck on what media to use for bio load

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 37 15.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 13 5.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 12.9%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 135 58.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 16 6.9%
Back