So I have a question about Bare Bottom tank

Dilan Patel

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
So my tank will be sitting on a stand that it came with. this stand does not have a solid piece of board to hold the tank so You will be able to see the sump and everything in the stand. Should I put something underneath the tank so that you cannot see it or will reflection make it hard to see through the bottom of the tank?

Daniel Waters

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've had bare bottom tanks with open stands. I never noticed anything. Then again, you'd have to stand over the tank looking down, which is not how most people view their tanks. Besides, over time coraline will cover the bottom

jda

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can certainly paint it if you want. Eventually, the bottom will be covered in stuff - coralline or coral.

Crreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Eventually after a year or so the bottom will be covered with coraline. So if you wanted you could paint the bottom of the tank. I would paint it either black or a deep blue.

needbiggertanks

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I ended up putting a black plastic trashbag under the tank because at night my fuge light shown through the tank into the room.

cracker

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
you could put a piece of cardboard under the tank's frame .An inexpensive way to block light.

K. Steven

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I cut a piece of a white tri-fold board that fits snugly under my tank. When I move I will paint the bottom white, but for now, this works to block light coming up from the refugium.

Livinlocal

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Paint would be easiest. I would definitely do something to prevent the light from your sump entering your display.

Bubbles, bubbles, and more bubbles: Do you keep bubble-like corals in your reef?

• I currently have bubble-like corals in my reef.

Votes: 61 39.9%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I have in the past.

Votes: 17 11.1%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 44 28.8%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 29 19.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.3%
Back