Will this hold my tank? Please help!

Cassian

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey everyone! So I’m diving back into reefing with this 32 gallon biocube. I’m in an apartment with limited space so I thought putting it on my counter top was a great way to save space and not have to worry about a stand. However now I’m having second thoughts. 32 gallons x 8 lbs per gallon is about 250 lbs…. Then sand…. Then rock…..
The final poundage is just making me a little nervous on a particle board counter top. Could any one advise me on if they think this is totally fine and I’m worried for nothing, or I should get a stand for this before I continue with the build? I’ve attached some pics from different angles. The cabinetry itself is really sturdy solid wood, but it’s hollow underneath the tank and the particle board is prolly 3/4 inch?

IMG_0037.jpeg

IMG_0035.jpeg

IMG_0036.jpeg

OP
OP
Cassian

Cassian

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My husband is a cabinet maker so I had him look at your post. He said it shouldn’t have any problems, and it looks sturdier than many aquarium stands (and pointed to mine) looks like I need a bigger, better setup :rolling-on-the-floor-laughing:
Oh perfect haha!!! That makes me feel much better about it. Thank you and your husband so much for your help!

exnisstech

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ahh!! I could probably do that, thanks

Could even do it like an old school capital I to spread the weight and add a little stability. I just wonder what is on the bottom of the cabinet. Is it the floor or a just some 1/4 inch plywood like many cabinets I have seen have. If the latter the reinforcement won't help. But if your talking 250-300lb I'd roll with it but do so at your own risk :winking-face:
EDIT: to be honest that counter / cabinet is probably stronger than many mass produced stands made out of partical board that hold tanks much larger than yours

EDIT EDIT : this 40 gallon breeder has been sitting on this stand for years made out of 1x3" vertical wood can hold more weight than people think. I'm not smart enough to give you numbers tho :beaming-face-with-smiling-eyes: 20231001_182534.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
Cassian

Cassian

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Could even do it like an old school capital I to spread the weight and add a little stability. I just wonder what is on the bottom of the cabinet. Is it the floor or a just some 1/4 inch plywood like many cabinets I have seen have. If the latter the reinforcement won't help. But if your talking 250-300lb I'd roll with it but do so at your own risk :winking-face:
EDIT: to be honest that counter / cabinet is probably stronger than many mass produced stands made out of partical board that hold tanks much larger than yours

EDIT EDIT : this 40 gallon breeder has been sitting on this stand for years made out of 1x3" vertical wood can hold more weight than people think. I'm not smart enough to give you numbers tho :beaming-face-with-smiling-eyes: 20231001_182534.jpg
Ah! This makes a lot of sense! Thank you! And yeah the bottom of the cabinet is like 1/4” wood and it’s suspended from the floor as well, so I think I’ll just go with it and hope it doesn’t turn out bad haha!

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

Just another girl who likes fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey everyone! So I’m diving back into reefing with this 32 gallon biocube. I’m in an apartment with limited space so I thought putting it on my counter top was a great way to save space and not have to worry about a stand. However now I’m having second thoughts. 32 gallons x 8 lbs per gallon is about 250 lbs…. Then sand…. Then rock…..
The final poundage is just making me a little nervous on a particle board counter top. Could any one advise me on if they think this is totally fine and I’m worried for nothing, or I should get a stand for this before I continue with the build? I’ve attached some pics from different angles. The cabinetry itself is really sturdy solid wood, but it’s hollow underneath the tank and the particle board is prolly 3/4 inch?

IMG_0037.jpeg

IMG_0035.jpeg

IMG_0036.jpeg
It will be perfectly fine on your counter.

OP
OP
Cassian

Cassian

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Most likely strong enough, but it's probably also made of particle board so try not to spill too much water on it.
Thanks! It is particle board but it has laminate or something on it. It’s a kitchen counter next to a sink, so meant to be wet occasionally :)

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 31 16.1%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 5.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 25 13.0%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 113 58.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 6.2%
Back