So I have cyano.. yay!

One Reefing Boi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
So I have cyano alllll over every surface of my tank. I got caught up with work and being back in the office and haven’t given my tank the attention it needs in the last month.

don’t know all of my parameters but my nitrate is 0 and phosphate is also 0. Any tips to reducing it? I was hoping to keep it as natural as possible without dosing chemicals but if that’s what it takes than so be it. Can I raise my nutrient levels with heavy dosing Red Sea AB+ And reef roids ??

DC Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have tried all kinds of things to get rid of cyano in one of my tanks and found sucking the cyano off of all the surfaces and then increasing the flow worked best for me. I have decreased nutrients as well as increasing but have found flow to be the best solution for my tank.

OP
OP
One Reefing Boi

One Reefing Boi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I have tried all kinds of things to get rid of cyano in one of my tanks and found sucking the cyano off of all the surfaces and then increasing the flow worked best for me. I have decreased nutrients as well as increasing but have found flow to be the best solution for my tank.
Ok thanks - I have a Nero 3 and Nero 5, the 3 is max 30% and the 5 is max 5% right now because my bubble tip is right in the way of it so don’t want to blast it off. It got sucked into it about 3 months ago and it looked awful. Thought it was dead but it’s coming back great so don’t want to disturb it too much. I guess I’ll take a look and try moving my pumps around a bit or seeing what I can do about flow. Thanks!
Also, did you raise your nutrient levels?

MNFish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A turkey baster to blast it off and suck it up worked pretty good before I used chemi clean...

Tired

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
You need to fix those nutrients. Heavily feed anything that wants to be fed (corals, fish, everything), and don't do water changes until nutrients are actually getting too high. Reef Roids may help with nutrients, but don't broadcast feed them once you have some nutrients, they'll pump nutrients up too high if not directly fed to things.

Blow the cyano off things with a turkey baster, and get your nutrients to a reasonable level. It should sort itself out.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 99 88.4%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 5.4%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 4 3.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.7%
Back