So I replaced my T5 bulbs and they didn't fire...

fish farmer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a retrofit T5 kit, either the let or reefbright from BRS. Had it for several years, works great, dimmable kit. Both old bulbs working great.

I took them out and replaced with the same ATI bulbs, one tried to fire. Fiddled with the positions in the holders, nothing. I tried an old bulb and that did the same, one flicker then out.

I'm assuming it is a loose contact somewhere, just don't want to tear everything apart unless I have to.

If one bulb doesn't fire will that impede the other one firing as well?

Saltyreef

I'm not your dad...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a retrofit T5 kit, either the let or reefbright from BRS. Had it for several years, works great, dimmable kit. Both old bulbs working great.

I took them out and replaced with the same ATI bulbs, one tried to fire. Fiddled with the positions in the holders, nothing. I tried an old bulb and that did the same, one flicker then out.

I'm assuming it is a loose contact somewhere, just don't want to tear everything apart unless I have to.

If one bulb doesn't fire will that impede the other one firing as well?

Lbrdsoxfan

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for all the help.

It was a bad new bulb. I read deeper on the ballast and it is wired so if one bulb is out, both are out.
Had that happen recently with a run of 50/50 reefbrite t5's from premium aquatics, took 3 different shipments to get a working pair. One set wouldnt fire, one set didn't survive shipping.

OP
OP
fish farmer

fish farmer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Had that happen recently with a run of 50/50 reefbrite t5's from premium aquatics, took 3 different shipments to get a working pair. One set wouldnt fire, one set didn't survive shipping.
Since my old Build My LED fixture has been acting up, I've been looking at a replacement with similar specs, Orphek, Reefbrite, etc. My T5's have been due to replace and I have a vacation coming up soon. I was ready yesterday to just go all in on LED, but held back, just have one 14K Reefbreeders LED bar on the way.

Lbrdsoxfan

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Since my old Build My LED fixture has been acting up, I've been looking at a replacement with similar specs, Orphek, Reefbrite, etc. My T5's have been due to replace and I have a vacation coming up soon. I was ready yesterday to just go all in on LED, but held back, just have one 14K Reefbreeders LED bar on the way.
If your a long time t5 guy, your going to have a transitional period, lol.

I got away from t5's, went led and realized its just TOO blue for my taste and the whole shadowing deal. I'm currently running t5/led hybrid setups on both tanks (diy fixture on the 120 & and an aquatic life fixture on the cube) and I'm more than happy. I'd even go luddite :beaming-face-with-smiling-eyes: and run halides again but that heat and overall cost....

OP
OP
fish farmer

fish farmer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I got away from t5's, went led and realized its just TOO blue for my taste and the whole shadowing deal. I'm currently running t5/led hybrid setups on both tanks (diy fixture on the 120 & and an aquatic life fixture on the cube) and I'm more than happy. I'd even go luddite :beaming-face-with-smiling-eyes: and run halides again but that heat and overall cost....
I'd run a 10K halide on my 29 gallon if I could, still have the 175 watt fixture. Just don't have the space in the wall and there's that heat thing. Well see how the 14k reefbreeders fixure is, it's listed as daylight and has various LED colors, not the white/blue like others I see.

GARRIGA

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

AI Blades might be the solution for T5 hangover. I'm old school VHO wannabee so can appreciate the value on proper spread and reduced shading. If only the blades were configured in that one wider strip contained all the LEDs.

SteveMM62Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you look at your lamp ends, there should be a little indent 90 degrees from the pins. This will help you make sure the Lamp is in the correct position.

Lbrdsoxfan

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd run a 10K halide on my 29 gallon if I could, still have the 175 watt fixture. Just don't have the space in the wall and there's that heat thing. Well see how the 14k reefbreeders fixure is, it's listed as daylight and has various LED colors, not the white/blue like others I see.
Id love to run dual 10k or 14k bulb 175w halides over my 120g with a couple of 460nm led strips for some pop on occasion, but the .33-.42 cent kwh cost makes it a bit expensive month after month :(

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 42 16.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 16 6.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 11.7%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 148 57.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 7.4%
Back