So many ways to mount your AquaIllumination Lights... How do you do it?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Reef News

Latest Reef News
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Rails, hanging kits, classic mounts, flex arms...there's no end to the options for mounting your AI lights! How do you have yours mounted? Did you go with a one of the mounting options provided by AquaIllumination, or did you DIY it? Post a pic of your light mounting solutions (and be sure we can see that beautiful tank below it)!

Check out the AquaIllumination mounting options here!

Looking for AI Lighting? Check it out here!

1.jpg

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I really like the rail type kits!

Broadfield

Red Sea Reefer Consultant... Non Affiliated
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I did something a little unique on my old 3 foot tank... but still using AI mounting hardware. I basically built a "bridge" over the top of the tank... using the EXT Stand Mount solution and three 6" rails. I bolted the rail holder(the part that would typically mount to the back of your stand) to the top of my stand right up next to the tank, then cut the EXT vertical rail to the height that I wanted my lights over the tank. Lastly, I simply built a bridge in between the two upright rails with the fixtures and 6" rails. This gave me sort of an industrial look which went with some of the other decor in my house. Here's a shot before I even added coral:

IMG_0758 by Toby Broadfield, on Flickr

BetURWrasse

Dysfunctional Veteran
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not AI but someone could do the same thing, this is how I mounted both my XR15's and my nanobox hybrids.
I used a floating shelf from lowes for the xr15's over the IM 30L
image.jpeg
image.jpeg

I built a floating shelf over the 130 to hold the hybrids
image.jpeg

And also build a simple shelf and used iron pipe for a more industrial look in my office

image.jpeg

image.jpg

Pola0502ds

Zoa Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know its a known problem but does not seem to be extremely common. My Hydra 52 lights came from the factory out of balance, i use the ceiling hanging kit with extension rail and because its off balance it leans towards to back dramatically. I purchased those lead tire weights (the new style that are flat and flexible with adhesive on the back) they are 5/8" wide x about 8" long and less than 1/8" thick. Had to put 4 of those strips on each light to balance it out. Its a little annoying because you would expect perfection after paying $1300 for 2 lights and a hanging kit!!!!!!

It wouldnt be that big of a deal to me if the lights were concealed under a hood but they are out in the open! Extremely disappointed by this. I do like the lights and the customer service is pretty good.

Anyone else have this problem and have a different solution that doesnt require an eyesore? If i remember i will post some pictures tonight.

mache62

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bumping this with an updated pic. I added in a couple of T5 lights and a Hydra 52 to my light set up. I found a good deal on a used hydra 52 and swapped out the 2 AI Sol lights in the middle, moved the LEDs so they are parallel to the tank and then wired in a T5 light on either side.

20161127_124135.jpg

jaws789832

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Where did you get those covers (diffusers) for the t5's. I bought a couple of t5 fixtures to add to my radions but they didnt come with any covers like that and I am afraid to add them over my tank for fear of the bulb breaking and falling in my tank.

jaws789832

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry just kinda took a closer look. Not sure if there are covers on there or not. The glow from the reflector makes it look like ther is.

Frop

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My DIY light mount is the reason I don't take full body shots of the fish tank. I'll eventually buy a rail to mount it on so it will sit close to the water (I need all the par I can get on the upgrade).

mache62

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@jaws789832 you're right the glow does make it look like covers but no, just reflectors behind the T5s. These sit about 16" off the water so no real splashing. I do need to wrap it with some type of canopy around the sides though because there is a lot of light bleed.

adhd_nerd

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 6 x 60" AT fixture in the middle. I needed a way to mount the AI lights that is easily removable and to slide back and forth. The screw in the slot is method does poorly at allowing lights to slide; also PITA to remove. Plus, when I had them mounted parallel to the water, the aquarium face would build up algae too fast. Need to have them angle slightly. I 3D printed these brackets with a slightly off center of gravity and love it (for the cooling fan too). Lift off and remove and slides back and forth easily. I think if you needed the lights parallel to the water, you could make a bracket that has the correct center of gravity to have them hang parallel.

The tank is 72 L x 30 D x 36 T.

IMG_20161231_102937.jpg

Frop

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 6 x 60" AT fixture in the middle. I needed a way to mount the AI lights that is easily removable and to slide back and forth. The screw in the slot is method does poorly at allowing lights to slide; also PITA to remove. Plus, when I had them mounted parallel to the water, the aquarium face would build up algae too fast. Need to have them angle slightly. I 3D printed these brackets with a slightly off center of gravity and love it (for the cooling fan too). Lift off and remove and slides back and forth easily. I think if you needed the lights parallel to the water, you could make a bracket that has the correct center of gravity to have them hang parallel.

The tank is 72 L x 30 D x 36 T.

IMG_20161231_102937.jpg

That's cool

mache62

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice. I totally agree that hanging them 'flat' if you will is not ideal for an LED light but sometimes you have no choice.

pickupman66

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had my radion hanging and used the same cable rig. Added a piece of flat aluminum stock on each end. This spread them apart 10" center to center and has the perfect coverage for my 32x24 x20 inch deep tank.
b90692251558fc62d1357024e8329a03.jpg
3d7e86858612f387c240907b8e2c7a37.jpg

Back