So much info

Bran8409

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
New to the hobby. I have read tons of info on tanks for beginners and whatnot. Well, I decided to start with the Evo 13.5. But my questions are about test kits, when to test, and parameters. I have noticed everyone has a different answer and it can be overwhelming and exhausting. Any tips and tricks to help? Thanks.

Dbichler

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
To start with cycling your tank you need ammonia nitrite and nitrate as well as salinity. When cycle is done you can trash ammonia and nitrite they are no longer needed. When you get into corals you will need ph phosphate alk calcium and mag.

Reefer Matt

Reef Cave Dweller
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I started by finding local Reefers and asking them. You can eventually find someone who has the results you are looking for, and emulate their success. It's hard to do that online, because many people prefer to be anonymous and don't share their entire situation. Not impossible to find someone here to help though, and you can always private message them too.

ScurvyFrog

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One of those API kits with ammonia, nitrates, nitrites will be your best bet to start + fractometer. Inexpensive and accurate enough.

Once you decide where the tank is heading (FOWLR, LPS, SPS, mixed reef) you’ll likely want to consider things like Hanna Checkers. They’re a little more pricey but worth it if you take the plunge into corals.

Lots of options and opinions on this, but the above is just my two cents.

kevgib67

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There are tons of reefers on R2R with your exact setup. Find one that you would like to emulate and hit that reefer up to mentor you. You will find a lot who would love to walk this journey with you.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
New to the hobby. I have read tons of info on tanks for beginners and whatnot. Well, I decided to start with the Evo 13.5. But my questions are about test kits, when to test, and parameters. I have noticed everyone has a different answer and it can be overwhelming and exhausting. Any tips and tricks to help? Thanks.
Up front with new bioloads- Test weekly until your levels are stable/steady in a safe range requiring less water changes and good readings and use reliable test kits. Does not have to be the most expensive but Hanna and salifert are good and user friendly tests.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

My tip is to get most of your advice at Reef2Reef, not at the LFS or other online stores that stand to profit from suggestions to you.

I'd also be wary of facebook and other places where there is no allowed back and forth discussion of "methods" being proposed.

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 111 74.0%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 15 10.0%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 10 6.7%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 3 2.0%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 5 3.3%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

Votes: 4 2.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.3%
Back