Reef Hugger
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
dude... Dude... DUDE!!! :neutral:

This is friggin' AWESOME!!! :tongue:
All this is tied into his 550g display.
That's one heck of a way to add some stability! That's an amazing display as well, any ideas of the dimensions Rik? It has an Oregon Reef essence to it...

I'm very glad to hear that he's going to be utilizing this amazing system for true aquaculture - HUGE props for a very impressive and important project!

blaze98

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is absolutely incredible. When he said he was putting in a greenhouse I had no idea he was doing something like this. That is freakin' sweet.

cparka23

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's intense!

I'd hate to touch the e-bill on that one. It'll be a rolling blackout to turn on everything at once. :)

ctenophore

Avast Justin
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Everyone!
Thank you Rik for the glowing introduction!

Thanks to everyone else for all of the great compliments. I appreciate it very much.

As Rik mentioned, I built this system to do true broodstock-based aquaculture, not to chop-shop wild colonies. I feel that this yields the best quality product for hobbyists, as the resiliency and consistency of closed-system aquacultured animals are well known.

I still have a ways to go before this system is mature and producing real quantities (only 1 tank is filled so far) but I will definitely post updates as long as it's allowed. I haven't bothered at RC since they are so uptight there about people like me. Rik assures me that R2R is the place to be :)

I look forward to talking with you all and helping where I can.

Justin

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Justin welcome buddy! We/I would love to have constant updates on this project! Thanks!

ctenophore

Avast Justin
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's intense!

I'd hate to touch the e-bill on that one. It'll be a rolling blackout to turn on everything at once. :)

The bill actually isn't too bad. A few hundred a month to run about 2000 gal of water. I estimate approx. $350/mo once all 5 tanks are filled (5000 gal total). The argon glass on the solarium drastically cuts down the heat gain from sunlight. My chiller actually ran less once the first tank was plumbed into the system. Heating in the winter will be the interesting part. My tanks are built with 2" foam insulation in the fiberglass, and with a pool cover they retain heat very well. At least the ones in my Florida greenhouse do, which is poorly insulated compared to this one. It does get a lot colder in MD though.

Nomadic1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Awesome.... Seeing that it's a solarium, why not use solar power to run all of the electrical, and eliminate the electrical bill all together (well, divert it to pay for the solar)?

OP
OP
Leishman

Leishman

143gadgets' Mentor
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
From my local board:

Here are some livestock shots. Just got through a nasty cyano bloom, gotta love new tank syndrome on a 750 gallon tub. All coral pics taken under 6500k light, so many look a little brown. Overall I am happy with the color and growth after a little over a month in the sun.
Splitting anemone
P1010011.jpg

Pink & green mill
P1010012.jpg

Random efflo
P1010013.jpg

Another efflo
P1010014.jpg

Bali tricolor
P1010017.jpg

Sunset milli
P1010020.jpg

Blue and red cyphastrea donated for growout by Rik. Amazing how nice and rich the color is, even under very intense light, > 500 micromol PAR
P1010021.jpg

Neon sinularia, originally from Chip
P1010022.jpg

Red and green palythoa complete with aiptasia
P1010023.jpg

Tubs blue zoanthids also from Rik
P1010024.jpg

I am terrible with zoa names. Pretty ones though.
P1010025.jpg

Very fuzzy A. tenuis-y looking acro. The blue tips came shooting out after 3 weeks outside.
P1010026.jpg

Red table, from Rik as usual. I think this is the same as the Red Planet. I have a piece of that too, so I might put it on top of this coral and see if they fight.
P1010031.jpg

FTS
P1010035.jpg

My cleanup pals, the kids love to feed these two. The powder brown is from GaryL, the yellow from Blaze98
P1010038.jpg

OP
OP
Leishman

Leishman

143gadgets' Mentor
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
and the rest:

Super green efflo from reefhunter, this thing is a growth champion, adding on an inch of new skirt since I put it outside. It is very green even under sunlight.
P1010047.jpg

I forget what this is but once I give it some 20k supplements I'm sure it will look great.
P1010048.jpg

Rose anemones love intense light. Here is one under no shade, near 1200 micromol PAR. Actually no shade on left, the shade cloth shadow on the right.
P1010064.jpg

My new Rose Garden, this will be 60 sqft of nothing but a single genetic line of Roses. I hope to have over 1000 anemones in this tank eventually.
P1010069.jpg

I just loved how this one came out. The base is not actually green, that is just an artifact of the camera. 1200 micromol PAR.
P1010071.jpg

Making aqua concoctions: Have you ever tried the Reef Moonshiner Method?

• I currently use the moonshiner method.

Votes: 47 21.2%
  • I don’t currently use the moonshiner method, but I have in the past.

Votes: 3 1.4%
  • I have not used the moonshiner method.

Votes: 161 72.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 11 5.0%
Back