So should I source our better grade calcium chloride?

MikeSF

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
500g/gal in 4.5gal = 2.25kg

RVn1Fj9.jpg

or run with it? :) Food grade eh?

The soda ash is a bit better... at least I can see the mixing pump.
QMoZtVP.jpg

To say I'm a bit bummed is an understatement because I have a 5 gallon bucket (mostly full) of this.

andrewey

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What are you using as your source for calcium chloride?

OP
OP
M

MikeSF

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
it was a store that long ago claimed to source "high purity" stuff, it's basically been sitting in a sealed bucket with a rubber gasket for quite a few years (Aquavitro salt buck). Beyond that, I dunno specifics. The claim was "food grade" though, maybe they already made food using it ? :)

blasterman

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Food grade.

I know some of you get along with bulk sidewalk de-icer, but man, with a lot of this junk coming from china god knows what's in it.

Auquanut

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I go for pharmaceutical grade additives from reputable reef supply vendors whenever possible. Just can't help my self. I'm sure I could save money if I shop around, but I'm willing to pay for the added peace of mind.

OP
OP
M

MikeSF

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Food grade.

I know some of you get along with bulk sidewalk de-icer, but man, with a lot of this junk coming from china god knows what's in it.
Honestly I think this was claimed to be food grade, it's been so long I don't remember. I was hopping maybe some contamination on the top amount that lower in the bucket would be some "better" stuff... however instead of wasting 5 gallons of water to see it i tried with a much smaller amount, and while the dark color isn't as obvious... it's obviously still there. So now I'm trying to find uses of this stuff in the garden :D

That said, "junk from China" most likely is where most of it comes, including pharmaceutical grade, and wouldn't be surprised if a certain online retailer that sells it sources it from China as well, especially if they're dong big bulk purchases.

I go for pharmaceutical grade additives from reputable reef supply vendors whenever possible. Just can't help my self. I'm sure I could save money if I shop around, but I'm willing to pay for the added peace of mind.
Yup, that's where I'm going, and the reality the saving of money for me was because "I already had it" and not because it was the cheapest thing out there. This stuff was old, but sealed up well, and the LFS that got it wanted to have higher quality stuff as people were using crap like de-icer and living in an area that literally never gets snow it was a little hard to come by. Either way, it looks like BRS is sold out of most all but the largest buckets, and it really isn't that expensive in the grand scheme of things, electricity far eclipses the cost of 2 part dosing with it.

Miller535

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Yup, me too. Bulk pharma isn't that expensive anyhow.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 39 35.1%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 23 20.7%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 8.1%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 6 5.4%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 30 27.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.6%
Back